• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Interesting article on "the Bonus"

KBayDog

A 30-year-old instructor pilot with Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron 120 , Buckley already must serve three years in exchange for the MBA he's earning - remotely - from the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, Calif .

So serving two years on top of that - with $125,000 for the complete five-year extension - was an easy choice.

"I don't think it was an option of not taking it," Buckley said. "If you're going to do three, you might as well put in for the extra two."

Did I read this correctly? His five-year "re-up" is combined with the three-year obligated service he owes for NPS, and he still gets $25K for each of the three "NPS Years?"

WOW:eek:

I wonder if that would fly in the Marines (but I'm not holding my breath...)

He's right; providing there are no extenuating circumstances, getting a $125K bonus and an MBA in exchange for five years' work (with the associated pay and benefits) is kind of a no-brainer.

S.O.B.

pilot
KBayDog said:
Did I read this correctly? His five-year "re-up" is combined with the three-year obligated service he owes for NPS, and he still gets $25K for each of the three "NPS Years?"

WOW:eek:

I wonder if that would fly in the Marines (but I'm not holding my breath...)

He's right; providing there are no extenuating circumstances, getting a $125K bonus and an MBA in exchange for five years' work (with the associated pay and benefits) is kind of a no-brainer.

Yes it runs concurrently with any other service obligation already incurred. I don’t know why it would be any different for Marines.

http://www.nps.navy.mil/gsbpp/emba/PDF/NAVADM_Dec2005.pdf

KBayDog

I honestly have no clue if it is (or if it would) be any different. You know we tend to do things a little differently with our money, though, such as (when I signed) helo and -130 guys owing six years, jets owing eight years.

For example, the SOU from the MARADMIN regarding the FY'06 Special Education Program (SEP) (appropriate title ;) ) that sends us to NPS (and other schools):
"IF SELECTED, I AGREE TO REMAIN ON ACTIVE DUTY FOR ATLEAST 4 YEARS AFTER COMPLETION OF MY TRAINING OR 3 YEARS IF THE EDUCATION IS 1 YEAR OR LESS. I AGREE NOT TO TENDER RESIGNATION OR REQUEST SEPARATION OR RETIREMENT WHILE PARTICIPATING IN THE PROGRAM. I FURTHER UNDERSTAND THAT THIS OBLIGATION IS IN ADDITION TO ANY OBLIGATION PREVIOUSLY INCURRED."

In any event, the Navy deal is pretty sweet!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ACCP bonus isn't for active duty time per se, but for specific service within an aviation designator. I think that's where the distinction lies.

Brett