• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Interservice Pilot Transfer from Air Force to Navy??

usaficeman1

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has heard of doing a lateral pilot transfer to the Navy from the Air Force. I am a T-38 grad from Vance that got assigned C-21s to Ramstein, which is a pretty sweet gig. But I just got word that I'll no longer be able to compete to go pointy-nose for my next assignment and will be forced to the heavy world. I love being in the Air Force, but my dream has always been to be in a single seat jet, and I'm just not ready to let it go.

I've got just over 8 years left on my pilot training ADSC and I've been researching ways to get to a fighter after my assignment at Ramstein. I've looked at Palace Chase to a guard or reserve unit, but currently they're not really letting young pilots go. My buddy just got jets from Navy Pilot Training and he said that they're hurting for pilots right now. So I figured I'd look into transferring my commitment over to the Navy to see if I could go fly fighters off the boat with them.

Any input would be helpful.

Thanks

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
Your friend just selected Navy jets and thinks that we are hurting for pilots??? I'm skeptical.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
My buddy just got jets from Navy Pilot Training and he said that they're hurting for pilots right now. So I figured I'd look into transferring my commitment over to the Navy to see if I could go fly fighters off the boat with them.

Don't confuse the rumor mill coming from guys that have yet to even sit in a Navy jet (ie guys who just selected jets), with the reality of the fleet. I've been winged about a year now, in the Hornet community, and I still have no idea what big Navy needs in terms of numbers. That being said, I have not gotten the impression over the last few years that we are hurting in any way for pilots....though I of course could be wrong. Good luck with the transfer, but I'm guessing big AF is going to want to hold on to you for your service commitment.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not hurting for pilots. Not hurting for anybody but Docs and maybe Chaplain. Not to say you might not have a chance, especially a couple years from now when you finish up in C-21s. If you did make the switch, what makes you think you'd get TACAIR? BTW, search AW, there is info on how to make an inter-service transfer.