• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Interview Appraisal vs. LoR Question

BuckWild

Advanced - VT-35
I'm applying for OCS early next year and had a question on the interview appraisal vs. lor's. I have a interview or sit down with an Admiral on Wednesday. I was wondering if it's better for my package to have him do an appraisal or a LoR? Thanks for any feedback.

The Renegade

LT, SC, USN
I'm applying for OCS early next year and had a question on the interview appraisal vs. lor's. I have a interview or sit down with an Admiral on Wednesday. I was wondering if it's better for my package to have him do an appraisal or a LoR? Thanks for any feedback.

It would be best for him to fill out an interview appraisal then a LOR. An LOR is more so for individuals who actually know you through a personal or professional relationship, I'm assuming you have neither with the Admiral; therefore, the Admiral doesn't know you enough to really write you a LOR.

The only things he can really tell the board is his impression of you concerning your personal appearance, the way you carry yourself, confidence in your speaking ability, etc. and that is best done on an interview appraisal.

JTH

Buck,

I asked one of the OR's in my recruiters office if they knew of a pilot in town that I could snag an interview with. Naval aviators are rare in Colorado mind you. They set me up with a reserve pilot who filled out the appraisal sheet after a 10-15 min chat in the hallway. Personally I think it made a difference because it displayed my ability to go the extra mile and my desire to become an aviator.

To answer your question, I would say the interview appraisal sheet. Another thing that I did was type out the appraisal sheet after he wrote it up and returned the next day to have him sign it. Go through and look at the appraisal sheet and see what they are judging you on and try to think of some of the normal and off the wall questions that he/she might ask you. I wore a shirt and tie and got a hair cut the day before. Good luck, be confident.

arianjalali

Thank God you posted this because I have been confused on this part of the application process (at least as far as the civilian side goes)! So we get to set up interviews with commissioned officers who reside near us? I assume in some cases, probably such as mine, that I will have to travel a little bit. Does our recruiter do this for us or how does it work exactly? I am working on my application right now and it is close to complete. My OR emailed it to me yesterday afternoon and I have everything filled out except for the motivational statement. I have also began prepping for the ASTB and rounding up some LORs. When should I expect to start having interviews conducted? Thanks!

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
Does our recruiter do this for us or how does it work exactly? /// When should I expect to start having interviews conducted? Thanks!

It probably depends on how busy and/or motivated your recruiter is. At the very least, your recruiter should have a list of officers who have assisted with interviews in the past, are willing to assist some more, and do a half decent job with the written appraisal. As far as timing goes, the sooner the better. Be as proactive as you have to be, first with your recruiter, and then, if you're recruiter is not being helpful, on your own. Your application will not go to the board until the minimum number of interviews are documented.

arianjalali

Thank you very much, OnTop.. My OR is new at this game (as am I obviously) so we'll both be figuring it out together. He just got converted from an enlisted recruiter to an officer recruiter about a month ago, so he's going through a new set of ropes now. Regardless, I'm lucky to have him nearby. I appreciate the info!