• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Intrusions, Overflights, Shootdowns and Defections

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
17 May 1950 A Royal Air Force Shorts Sunderland was forced to land at Lod airport in Israel after being intercepted by Spitfires of the 105 Squadron of the Israel Air Force over Ramat David air base. The RAF crew had been issued maps that didn't show Israel and were unaware that they were flying over a sovereign state, as Great Britain had yet to recognize the state of Israel.
Umm . . . oops? :confused:

I'm sure the crew had some choice words for His Majesty's Foreign Office. Intercepted by Spits, to boot! Irony is the spice of life.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Or a plan :)
Neither did the Argentines. When the military governor gets asked what he's doing to defend the islands from invasion, and his response is "what the hell are you talking about," that's a heck of a way to fight a war. :)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I loved reading about all the action Spitfires, P-47s, F4Us and other WWII aircraft got well in the 50s and into the 60s. Saw a couple cases of a recip fighter besting MIG 15s.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Or a plan :)

They came up with one quick though, they had to since a big part of the fleet sailed only 3 days after the invasion. The more I read about how the Brits put everything together and so quickly the more impressed I am, shows the benefits of having a highly trained force that can adapt quickly.

I loved reading about all the action Spitfires, P-47s, F4Us and other WWII aircraft got well in the 50s and into the 60s. Saw a couple cases of a recip fighter besting MIG 15s.

My favorite is still the two MiG-17's bested by A-1 Skyraiders in Vietnam.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A Sea Fury and a Corsair also got a MiG-15 a piece during Korea.

Yeah, but I believe those guys lost their wingmen (Corsair) or were shot down (Sea Fury) while the A-1's got away clean.