• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IR Flag patch

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I thought there was a thread about this somewhere here, but I can't find it. Does anyone have a decent source for an IR American flag patch? My "Don't Tread on Me" flag is getting pretty tired and I figured I'd replace it with an IR patch.

Google brings up lots of distributors, but I know not all flag patches are made equal. SKD Tactical is supposed to have really good ones and has said they've been trying to get them for a year now, but are still out of stock.

Any other higher-quality places to go?

KODAK

"Any time in this type?"
pilot
I was talking with a friend about them a couple weeks back, apparently the legit ones are like $50+..

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Que?

I just mean a shoulder patch.

I love technology...I'm texting you in one window and replying to your post in another.

Last edited:

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I guess I don't understand the it American shoulder flag patch. Yes I know why we have IR reflective devices. But that always seemed overboard to me.

Renegade One

None
I guess I don't understand the it American shoulder flag patch. Yes I know why we have IR reflective devices. But that always seemed overboard to me.
Hey…it's probably the new age version of the VN-era Hamilton "combat watch" or the old WEP jackets. Subliminally sez "I was there…". Just a guess, of course…no data.

OscarMyers

None
I know they sell them in the Little Creek uniform shop. Maybe at the Coronado uniform shop?

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Meh. Gator, not throwing rocks. Just curious. I have always been around the crowd that opted out of wearing ir patches. We had it available but we never wore the patches. Just wondering if there was rationale that we hadn't thought of. Cheers.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

Slightly different reason than why you wore them (at least for me). If I (or you) are in the water at night, chances are about 98+% that the SAR crew is aided shining a light. If you have one more thing that may help you be seen, that's good. Otherwise you're reliant on the helmet. Are they completely necessary? Of course not, but if I need a new flag anyway, why not get something useful.

Hey…it's probably the new age version of the VN-era Hamilton "combat watch" or the old WEP jackets. Subliminally sez "I was there…". Just a guess, of course…no data.

Or maybe it's for the same reason I make sure my Sidewinder light works or that my HABD is full of air. Will any of get used? I hope not, but why not stack the odds in my favor.

Can I assume you mean "viewable via infra-red"? I see a lot on-line for 9-10 bucks…facing either way.

Which is why I'm asking about known quality. They're not all the same, and neither are the vendors.

I know they sell them in the Little Creek uniform shop. Maybe at the Coronado uniform shop?

No joy. I checked today, which is why I'm asking here.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Meh. Gator, not throwing rocks. Just curious. I have always been around the crowd that opted out of wearing ir patches. We had it available but we never wore the patches. Just wondering if there was rationale that we hadn't thought of. Cheers.

Ninja'ed. See above.

Renegade One

None
Slightly different reason than why you wore them (at least for me). If I (or you) are in the water at night, chances are about 98+% that the SAR crew is aided shining a light. If you have one more thing that may help you be seen, that's good. Otherwise you're reliant on the helmet. Are they completely necessary? Of course not, but if I need a new flag anyway, why not get something useful…. Will any of get used? I hope not, but why not stack the odds in my favor.
Nothing wrong with any of that…good prep.

jtmedli

pilot
Our Sr. AWs buy them for the newer guys once they get all their level 3 quals.

For those of you in Norfolk, GSS Gear off of Diamond Springs Rd has all sorts of stuff like IR patches and whatnot.

OscarMyers

None
Our Sr. AWs buy them for the newer guys once they get all their level 3 quals.

For those of you in Norfolk, GSS Gear off of Diamond Springs Rd has all sorts of stuff like IR patches and whatnot.

My wife is going to hate you for posting that. I live down the street from this place and never knew it existed.