• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Iranian SU-24 Fencer crash

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Yeah if it were an uncontrollable power deal, at some point you obviously need to commit to shutting the engine down or waving off.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hrm. Seems like they painted themselves into a corner what with the weird nose porpoise thing they had going on at the end. Though I can see being reticent to do a roll-and-go if you're already on fire . . . :eek:

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Hopefully not! We could potentially have to fight those guys. The fewer the better.

As long as the plane is wrecked, I hope the pilot is okay. Professional military officers in totalitarian regimes are usually "along for the ride" politically. Especially the pilots--they just want to do what they like and serve their country, not their government. I don't have any personal animous towards them.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
As long as the plane is wrecked, I hope the pilot is okay. Professional military officers in totalitarian regimes are usually "along for the ride" politically. Especially the pilots--they just want to do what they like and serve their country, not their government. I don't have any personal animous towards them.
I don't have anything personal against them either except that they could potentially be the one trying to kill me. I bet our grandfathers were thinking the same thing about the German and Japanese pilots in WW2. I am sorry they are along for the ride. But if it is someone who could potentially be shooting at me or my friends, it would be nice if they had a problem prior to getting to that point.

PS- I am not exactly worried about the SU-24 ;)~

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I see what you're saying, but we could potentially fight any number of places. Are you happy every time every one of them has a fatal mishap?

Our grandfathers (actually mine was too old for WWII already) probably felt that animous towards the Japanese pilots, but not the Germans. Yes, there was bad shit going down, but there was a lot of chivalry and honor among opponents.

I'm reminded of the one-legged (edit--rechecked the story--no legged! F'n amazing!) RAF pilot Douglas Bader. The Germans let the Brits airdrop replacement legs to Bader while he was a POW. Then, he used those legs during multiple escape attempts!

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Reminded me of a student pilot I saw bouncing down the runway in a C-172

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I see what you're saying, but we could potentially fight any number of places. Are you happy every time every one of them has a fatal mishap?

Our grandfathers (actually mine was too old for WWII already) probably felt that animous towards the Japanese pilots, but not the Germans. Yes, there was bad shit going down, but there was a lot of chivalry and honor among opponents.

I'm reminded of the one-legged RAF pilot Douglas Bader. The Germans let the Brits airdrop a replacement wooden leg to Bader while he was a POW. Then, he used that leg during multiple escape attempts!
While we could potentially fight any number of places, that country happens to be in I would say the top three. I never said I was happy, joyful, gleeful, etc. I do not wish death on anyone....except for the obvious terrorists, etc. To make everyone happy, I hope that he survived the crash and is now NPQ'd because he is an inch shorter.
PS-If I am ever unlucky enough to be in aerial combat, I hope the poor SOB I end up shooting down doesn't eject.

UMichfly

pilot
None
With wicked pilot skills like the guys in the video obviously have, I think they're the ones you WOULD want to fight if you had to fight someone..;)