• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Iran's Asymmetric Naval Warfare

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I always kind of giggle when the Gator Navy gets scared of jet skis etc. They have a boat full of bored grunts, give everyone 5 rounds line the catwalks and threat is neutralized and morale is enhanced. I suppose that would make too much sense, kind of like evaluating ships on a quick launch sequence for helos and LCACs.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would hate to point out the obvious but those pieces (the second one I cannot access) are written by non-military types. They are good for looking at the ideology, planning and general thinking behind Iran's strategies. But there are limits to it as well. It is a very valuable look at them from that particular perspective and good for people who look a the bigger picture.

But an operational military person is going to look more at the specifics in terms of training and 'real' capability. Iran might have 35 small boats with missiles on them but how many boats and missiles are actually operational? How well are the IRGCN trained on them? How often do they fire them? Are they successful when they do? In Iran and other countries where truth and fiction are often confused, the reality is in many cases different than what is claimed.

Very valuable posts and great info, I just wanted to inject that perspective into this thread.

P.S. They need to learn a few tips about how to write like an analyst, I have a short attention span and have tired of reading college thesis papers. ;)