• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is it possible to be a pilot with my vision?

ChrisRustyDog

I'm 20/20 up close, and I am 20/200 at distance. My recruiter is new and wasn't able to tell me much on the new policies (i.e. AKR or laser surgery being acceptable).

If not, what about NFO?

Also another thing I am concerned about is my GPA, 2.83 B.S. in Finance. I know it's low, but, I plan to study extremley hard for the ASTB

torpedo0126

There is a ton of discussion on this if you use the search function at the top of the screen.

However, based on what you've said your are nearsighted, which is very common. You can get PRK laser surgery to correct your negative diopter/astigmatism (NOT LASIK). Googling/searching the forum for that will give you a lot of information as well.

Your vision qualifies you for NFO as well.

No one on this forum can tell you if will get picked up. However, GPA weights heavily and a 2.83 in finance is not particular strong. Additionally, the Navy is REALLY looking for technical/engineering/science majors right now. So make sure you make up for those in your ASTB score and extra-curricular.

amr88

After reading over the waiver guide, i came across this tid-bit about decreased visual acuity.

"WAIVER: [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]A waiver for visual acuity less than standards may be considered in designated individuals, provided the central and peripheral retina is normal and all other visual standards are met. "- NAMI waiver guide[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]My Left eye is 20/20 and the right eye is 20/40(correctable to 20/20 minus). When i have my glassses on, i see better than normal, like 20/15, but combined, not covering up either eye. My question is that since i have great vision combined, will i still get NPQ'ed for SNA even tho my weaker eye isnt perfect due to mild nearsightedness?​
[/FONT]

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
After reading over the waiver guide, i came across this tid-bit about decreased visual acuity.

"WAIVER: [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]A waiver for visual acuity less than standards may be considered in designated individuals, provided the central and peripheral retina is normal and all other visual standards are met. "- NAMI waiver guide[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]My Left eye is 20/20 and the right eye is 20/40(correctable to 20/20 minus). When i have my glassses on, i see better than normal, like 20/15, but combined, not covering up either eye. My question is that since i have great vision combined, will i still get NPQ'ed for SNA even tho my weaker eye isnt perfect due to mild nearsightedness?​
[/FONT]

If you spent the time researching the actual requirements, or using the search function you would know that SNA is allowed 20/40. Don't read in to it too much.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
. However, GPA weights heavily and a 2.83 in finance is not particular strong. Additionally, the Navy is REALLY looking for technical/engineering/science majors right now. So make sure you make up for those in your ASTB score and extra-curricular.

Source? I have always been told that a degree is a degree is a degree.

jtmedli

pilot

Sir, This is not necessarily true in my experience. The AF/Navy/Marine Corps says that your GPA matters and not your degree type, but every one recruiter/OSO I've ever talked to said this was a fallacy. They look at your degree type when considering your GPA (at least to my knowledge). I believe this is part of "The Whole Person" concept that they tell you about. The "Sirs" here can elaborate more about this though. I'm just a humble OC so I could always be wrong!!

torpedo0126

I can't quote a specific document other than the NROTC homepage. Howver, when I was stashed at the old NROTC unit I was assigned a bunch of projects with the Recruiting Offcer. He gave me a run through.

The Navy now has a "tiered" system for degrees-1st, 2nd, 3rd. 1st tier are engineering majors the Navy finds very applicable, i.e. electrical, mechanical, aeronautical etc. 2nd tier degrees are for engineering degrees not as desirable i.e. industrial engineering (aka imaginary engineering :D), biomedical, and manufacturing.

3rd tier degrees are everything else. I have an informal piece of evidence on this as well...a friend who was recently in A-pool when they made everyone get stash jobs was sent to work at NETC. He worked directly with the scholarships and said the initial screening was separating people simply by what they marked for what they intend to major in.

This information pertains, however, to 4 year scholarship applicants.

Oh one other thing...when I was in NROTC, we were told they actually had a document/form or something that told them how to weight an engineer/science major's GPA and give them an 'equivalent' GPA. Don't know the truth to that, thats what the instructors said when some people were worrying about their GPAs for selection and 3 yr scholarships.

jtmedli

pilot
I can't quote a specific document other than the NROTC homepage. Howver, when I was stashed at the old NROTC unit I was assigned a bunch of projects with the Recruiting Offcer. He gave me a run through.

The Navy now has a "tiered" system for degrees-1st, 2nd, 3rd. 1st tier are engineering majors the Navy finds very applicable, i.e. electrical, mechanical, aeronautical etc. 2nd tier degrees are for engineering degrees not as desirable i.e. industrial engineering (aka imaginary engineering :D), biomedical, and manufacturing.

3rd tier degrees are everything else. I have an informal piece of evidence on this as well...a friend who was recently in A-pool when they made everyone get stash jobs was sent to work at NETC. He worked directly with the scholarships and said the initial screening was separating people simply by what they marked for what they intend to major in.

Oh one other thing...when I was in NROTC, we were told they actually had a document/form or something that told them how to weight an engineer/science major's GPA and give them an 'equivalent' GPA. Don't know the truth to that, thats what the instructors said when some people were worrying about their GPAs for selection and 3 yr scholarships.

This is more or less what I heard and was getting at. Good to know that they try to help us engineers out a little!!

Feet Wet

Stupid.

I have nothing against engineers, but when you fly with someone who would rather build the A/C, than fly it, then it makes for a long flight....:sleep_125

That being said, there are pilots from all sorts of diversified backgrounds of study. It doesn't make you any better or worse in the cockpit. It goes along the same lines of where one went to school....i.e. Guy #1 went to Harvard and Guy#2 went to State U, so he MUST be the better candidate...not necessarily.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Additionally, the Navy is REALLY looking for technical/engineering/science majors right now. So make sure you make up for those in your ASTB score and extra-curricular.

Stupid.

I have nothing against engineers, but when you fly with someone who would rather build the A/C, than fly it, then it makes for a long flight....:sleep_125

That being said, there are pilots from all sorts of diversified backgrounds of study. It doesn't make you any better or worse in the cockpit. It goes along the same lines of where one went to school....i.e. Guy #1 went to Harvard and Guy#2 went to State U, so he MUST be the better candidate...not necessarily.

The Navy FAVORS people with TECHNICAL DEGREES. The Navy also has empirical data to prove that people with TECHNICAL Degrees have a higher success rate in achieving their Wings O' Gold.

But as we all know the degree does not make the person. I've know lots of BRANIACS with non-tech degrees. I've also met some ROCKS with tech degrees. Does this mean they are not cut out for flying? NO. Does the Navy treat tech and non-tech degrees the same? No.

ChrisRustyDog, just know that it WILL be tougher to get into OCS with a <3.0 NON TECH so you need to equal out your package by beefing up other parts. Good luck!

-ea6bflyr ;)

torpedo0126

Pill_Hacker said:
It's doesn't matter how competitive you are.

I am not trying to pick a fight or anything, but this makes absolutely no sense.

I don't understand how.......nevermind

Pill_Hacker said:
A 2.8 in FINC is good enough to get in and plenty have gotten in with worse. You qualify, so apply. Don't ever be deterred by the odds. Longer the odds the higher the payoff.

I am qualified to attend BUDS...would I make it through? History would say otherwise...

Don't give up, correct, but do whatever ever you can to make yourself a standout and more competitive.