• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is it wrong to be happy about this?

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I think that Al Sharpton could use the time off the chow. Cindy Shehan is a nut. I'm sorry for her loss, but if my mother did that I would haunt her from the grave out of pure shame. She's capitalizing on her victimhood to have a challenge free soapbox.

By the way, fasting seemed to work well for Ghandi.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
3000 people and it gets attention? Even the Royals get a better turnout than that at their games, doesn't seem like much to speak of.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What a bunch of sissies. If they were really serious about their cause, they'd strike until all the troops are home. That would be my recommendation. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Brett

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
joboy666 said:
this is no different than rabbis in history claiming fast days after big disasters and horrible accidents. If I was more observant I'd keep these Jewish fast days, but I think it's retarded. EAT morons! Anybody who makes a concerted effort to do something that is detrimental to their health and life is an absolute MORON if it is something that can be avoided. (ok, maybe not drinking :D )

So what have you read/studied about the effects of fasting on health?

Crickets

That's what I thought. While a prolonged hunger strike is probably not healthy, fasting has been and is widely used for it's healing and detoxifying effects. Hippocrates, the father of modern medicine, was a big proponent and it is gaining popularity now. Basically it takes energy to digest food and when you don't eat, your body rests and uses the energy to heal itself and detoxify. Why do you think God instituted fasting? As a spiritual discipline sure, but spiritual disciplines have physical benefits as well, look at the calming/de-stressing effects of prayer. Fasting is the same way.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So what have you read/studied about the effects of fasting on health?

Crickets

That's what I thought. While a prolonged hunger strike is probably not healthy, fasting has been and is widely used for it's healing and detoxifying effects. Hippocrates, the father of modern medicine, was a big proponent and it is gaining popularity now. Basically it takes energy to digest food and when you don't eat, your body rests and uses the energy to heal itself and detoxify. Why do you think God instituted fasting? As a spiritual discipline sure, but spiritual disciplines have physical benefits as well, look at the calming/de-stressing effects of prayer. Fasting is the same way.

This is a tangent, but could you please define what a toxin is in specific, scientific terms?

Brett

BlkPny

pilot
Brett, you of all people should know this, since you are our official go-to guy for all bodily functions. I won't bore you with dry, dull definitions, but basically its anything that Hollywood, New- Age types, and yuppies decide is "Yucky". Also sometimes determined by low price or easy availability, since it is a well-known scientific fact that anything outrageously expensive or scarce is good for you.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Cheap domestic beer...ugghhh. ;)

...Which proves another point...that it's not cheap to eat well. ;)

From Henry VI, Act IV, Scene ii:

CADE: "Be brave, then; for your captain is brave, and vows reformation. There shall be in England seven halfpenny loaves sold for a penny: the three-hooped pot shall have ten hoops and I will make it felony to drink small beer."

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett, you of all people should know this, since you are our official go-to guy for all bodily functions. I won't bore you with dry, dull definitions, but basically its anything that Hollywood, New- Age types, and yuppies decide is "Yucky". Also sometimes determined by low price or easy availability, since it is a well-known scientific fact that anything outrageously expensive or scarce is good for you.

I think we're on the same wavelength. :D I once heard a doctor go down this same line of questioning since generic "toxins" weren't addressed in medical school.

Brett

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Rep points for the Shakespeare. ;)
...Which proves another point...that it's not cheap to eat well. ;)

From Henry VI, Act IV, Scene ii:

CADE: "Be brave, then; for your captain is brave, and vows reformation. There shall be in England seven halfpenny loaves sold for a penny: the three-hooped pot shall have ten hoops and I will make it felony to drink small beer."

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
http://people.aol.com/people/article/0,26334,1210118,00.html

Not eating = crazy. They think this will further their cause? Has a hunger strike worked, EVER?

Not to support the crazy b!tch, but...

One could argue that Ghandi's hunger strike had a significant effect on British rule of India... although maybe that had more to do with his fame and the possible black eye to Britain of his death...

Didn't Stockdale also lead a hunger strike in the Hanoi Hilton which eventually led to the Vietnamese conceding and giving better treatment? (That and the wrist-cutting, face-bashing incident...)

And I seem to recall from and episode of the Simpsons something about Cesar Chavez... and yes, Homer did accomplish his goal, didn't he?!

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
^Sure, as long as we can fit them all with matching jogging suits and sneakers too (a la Heaven's Gate).