• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is Military Aviation Worth It?

flyboy

Information Warfare Ensign
I have a question for current Naval Aviators...Was the whole process of becoming an officer with the amount of time it takes, OCS, API, intermediate flight training to finally get to a squadron and fly every few days for an hour worth it?. The uncertanty of equipment and the 10 year commitment is something i really have to consider and be 100 percent sure of my decision. Im going to make a decision between military or civilian aviation and whichever one i choose, im going to do my best at everything i do until i cant do it anymore. Ive been in the military before both active and reserve so unlike some of the new guys, i know what to expect. With regional airlines hiring as soon as your get your Comm/Multi, going into the military to become a pilot isnt mandatory anymore. Any info on the conditions of pilots in the military would be helpful.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
The uncertanty of equipment and the 10 year commitment is something i really have to consider and be 100 percent sure of my decision. Im going to make a decision between military or civilian aviation and whichever one i choose, im going to do my best at everything i do until i cant do it anymore. Ive been in the military before both active and reserve so unlike some of the new guys, i know what to expect. With regional airlines hiring as soon as your get your Comm/Multi, going into the military to become a pilot isnt mandatory anymore. Any info on the conditions of pilots in the military would be helpful.

It's never been mandatory, and if the airlines are what you want, then by all means...seek life elsewhere.

You've said you were in the military...Do you want to be an officer? The way it sounds, if the committment and "equipment uncertainty" (not sure what you mean there) are the first things on your mind, then it probably isn't your cup of tea.

As for me...its the best thing I've ever done. Period.

flyboy

What i was trying to say with the equipment is ive heard a lot of people make the 'i wanna fly jets' comment. I have said to mutiple people that as long as im flying something, im fine. of course i have my preferences, but all i wanted to know with this was if everyone was happy with their decision even if they were flying something they didnt want to fly from the start. i work on a navy base as a contractor and interact with officers every day. I have the upmost respect for them and idolize military pilots for what opportunities they have been given. i just want to be sure of my decision. nothing more.

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
What i was trying to say with the equipment is ive heard a lot of people make the 'i wanna fly jets' comment. I have said to mutiple people that as long as im flying something, im fine. of course i have my preferences, but all i wanted to know with this was if everyone was happy with their decision even if they were flying something they didnt want to fly from the start. i work on a navy base as a contractor and interact with officers every day. I have the upmost respect for them and idolize military pilots for what opportunities they have EARNED. i just want to be sure of my decision. nothing more.

...went ahead and fixed that for ya....

phrogpilot73

Put it this way - I spent 2 1/2 years enlisted, 4 years at USNA, and 9 years as an officer. I was a helicopter pilot in the Marine Corps, and I got out. I am now desperately fighting to get back in and fly in the reserves. That should tell you something.

flyboy

Whats the saying, its not what I said....its what i meant. sorry for the typo. of course i want to be on officer. the prestige and respect they have earned(i got it right this time) is something everyone should strive for. any other pros and cons of military aviation besides the obvious...(go fast and suckey deployments)

flyboy

I have made up my mind about submitting my package, i just think i needed some words from within the system. There is realy no reading material on the conditions of the current aviators that i have found and this forum was my last resource to get some inside opinions. sorry if the headline of this forum seemed antagonistic. i didnt intend any malice towards y'alls profession. i hope to soon be flying in formation with the rest of the great pilots on this site.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Without question, I have earned my place in Naval Aviation the hard way. And I can tell you that my experiences, my friendships, my accomplishments are things I would NEVER trade anything in this world for. Naval Aviation goes far beyond flight hours, O Clubs, and snazzy looking uniforms. It's a calling that you will never regret . . . that is of course, once you earn the right of passage into this elite fraternity.
:D

flyboy

Thats the kind of organization Im looking for. Im tired of the civilian lifestyle where nobody has any pride in what they do. not showing up to work, uniforms or work attire in sloppy condition. nobody has time for anybody as a civilian. it seems like military members have a stronger bond due to the situations they go through together and the time they spend together on a cruise. it just seems like family....and thats the kind of people i want to surround myself around. Thanks for your input.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I have a question for current Naval Aviators...Was the whole process of becoming an officer with the amount of time it takes, OCS, API, intermediate flight training to finally get to a squadron and fly every few days for an hour worth it?. The uncertanty of equipment and the 10 year commitment is something i really have to consider and be 100 percent sure of my decision. Im going to make a decision between military or civilian aviation and whichever one i choose, im going to do my best at everything i do until i cant do it anymore. Ive been in the military before both active and reserve so unlike some of the new guys, i know what to expect. With regional airlines hiring as soon as your get your Comm/Multi, going into the military to become a pilot isnt mandatory anymore. Any info on the conditions of pilots in the military would be helpful.

Hmm. The military isn't for everyone. Some folks figure that out in training, such as NROTC or OCS. Others figure out military flying isn't for them at some point in training. If you're willing to put it all out there, risk it all, you'll get training and experience you would never get in the civilian world. I'll be honest, I was very put out that I didn't get what I wanted out of primary. Getting my second choice burned me for quite some time. Once I got to my fleet squadron, there were times I just felt this BS just isn't for me. That included the flying to the mundane squadron jobs. All these years later, as I look back, I wouldn't change a thing. Granted I wasn't a tactical aviator, didn't get to shoot the bad guy but I flew off carriers, day and night. Flew T-2C's in training, fly T-34C's now doing spins and aero on almost a daily basis and still have the opportunity to fly T-6's or T-45's my last year or two. Flew into many different countries, partied with the finest, got drunk with the best. Suited up next day, flew to the boat, flew elsewhere, got partied again, drunk again, back to the boat. You get the picture.....IMO, if you want it, go for it. You'll never get this sort of chance again.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Thats the kind of organization Im looking for. Im tired of the civilian lifestyle where nobody has any pride in what they do. not showing up to work, uniforms or work attire in sloppy condition. nobody has time for anybody as a civilian. it seems like military members have a stronger bond due to the situations they go through together and the time they spend together on a cruise. it just seems like family....and thats the kind of people i want to surround myself around. Thanks for your input.

I think you're getting it. There's a "Why I'm glad to be a Naval Aviator" thread I'd look through. You can balance those w/ the suckiness that invariably comes w/ it.

flyboy

I think that the security and benefits really pull me to the military. no layoffs or paying for medical coverage...(something i didnt realize the cost of until i got out of the military) but that whole fraternity party scene the pilots enjoy is something i feel i missed out on because of the route i took after high school. joining the army at age 19 didnt allow me to experiance the things college students experiance(women, getting wasted, lifelong friends) any military aviation stories any of you would like to excite me with? particularly overseas on port call.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Don't think there aren't layoffs. Ask the guys in 2004 about being politely asked to depart the pattern in API for getting less than a 90 on a test.

any military aviation stories any of you would like to excite me with? particularly overseas on port call.

Again, search for the thread I mentioned. There's lots of stuff in there.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Don't think there aren't layoffs. Ask the guys in 2004 about being politely asked to depart the pattern in API for getting less than a 90 on a test.

I have a good high school friend who graduated the academy in 2004 and that is exactly what happened to him. He was somewhat disappointed, but got over it real fast. He didn't even know he wanted to be a pilot until just before he graduated the USNA.