• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is the M-1 Abrams outclassed now?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The turbo-diesel hybrid powertrain is a big deal. Pretty impressive specs. The LTS-101 was a shitty fuel gobbling nightmare on the original M! and even worse on the BK-117 I flew
Get the turbine vs. diesel bit, but that article was written by someone who seems to be confusing debates over specs (turbine vs diesel vs hybrid) and other debates over doctrine or ROC/POE (when/how to employ armor after lessons learned in Ukraine, and how it effects said specs) with some juvenile idea that all this means that tanks are all obsolete and thus "wasteful military spending."

Which is the level of analysis I'd expect out of an undergrad intern, brand-new J-school grad, or a particularly dim Ensign/2ndLt.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The idea that it could slink around a little in silent mode...that would be a scary sound to hear from just around the corner.
I wonder if you’d still have the tracks and wheels going squeaky-squeaky crunchy-crunchy.

Random8145

General Dynamics has proposed the Abrams X as the successor to the current Abrams. Major changes include:
- 3 man crew (vs 4 man) all mounted lower in the hull
- 6 cylinder Cummins turbo diesel hybrid powertrain
- 30mm chain gun on top
- 10 tons lighter

View attachment 36575

View attachment 36576

View attachment 36577
They need to keep the gas turbine because it sounds cooler. Joking aside, I do hope the 10 tons lighter is not at the sacrifice of armor protection. However I am sure armor has made great advancements since as well.
Might just be the sounds of bones being crushed
I've read that in WWII they called enemy soldiers they'd crush with the tank "crunchies."