• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is the training for a ea growler pilot the same as a hornet pilot's?

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Yes. They go to different FRS's. Rhino guys in Lemoore or Oceana, Growler guys at Whidbey.

swampertness

Yes. They go to different FRS's. Rhino guys in Lemoore or Oceana, Growler guys at Whidbey.
do they still obtain the same training? Since the growler is used for electronic attacks, the pilots still have to try to avoid enemies and target them?

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Training is different as they fly different missions. Basic fam, form, tanking and CQ will be same. However, that's about the limit of similarities. A/A, A/G, BFM, etc all different.

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
Does the growler get A/A? Yes. Is it what the FA community gets? No. Growlers are not and won't be used as Fighters. No CAG is going to put that asset in the A/A role as a fighter. Can it protect itself better than the Prowler? Sure. But don't kid yourself thinking that if you fly a Growler, you will be flying the same type of missions as the Rhino/Hornet. Will you get some A/A and BFM? Sure. However it is nowhere near what the FA community gets in training or what it does in the fleet.

And please don't take this as me knocking the Growler. It is a phenomenal platform. It has a specific mission and does it extremely well. It is just not and was never meant to be used as a f/a type aircraft.

Same goes for Rhinos and Hornets. We don't do what Growlers do. Specific aircraft for specific missions. They are different communities for a reason.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Does the growler get A/A? Yes. Is it what the FA community gets? No. Growlers are not and won't be used as Fighters. No CAG is going to put that asset in the A/A role as a fighter. Can it protect itself better than the Prowler? Sure. But don't kid yourself thinking that if you fly a Growler, you will be flying the same type of missions as the Rhino/Hornet. Will you get some A/A and BFM? Sure. However it is nowhere near what the FA community gets in training or what it does in the fleet.

And please don't take this as me knocking the Growler. It is a phenomenal platform. It has a specific mission and does it extremely well. It is just not and was never meant to be used as a f/a type aircraft.

Same goes for Rhinos and Hornets. We don't do what Growlers do. Specific aircraft for specific missions. They are different communities for a reason.
I agree with everything you posted, but there have already been a couple CAGs who have been pushing the boundary WRT Growlers in an A/A role. 73s, 79s, etc, you get the picture. I'm just a CAT II these days, and don't have all the specifics. Just something for folks to be aware of.

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
Bret,

I'm well aware of how some of the CAGs are using the Growlers IRT the 73 79 issue. But without going into much detail, guys going the Growler route shouldn't think that they are going to the merge or will be mixing it up like the FA guys IRT to A/A arena.

I think some guys have a misunderstanding of what they will be doing now that prowlers are turning into growlers. Especially studs in the VT's. Yeah a Growler and Rhino are very similar platform wise, but mission sets are 180 out.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Bret,

I'm well aware of how some of the CAGs are using the Growlers IRT the 73 79 issue. But without going into much detail, guys going the Growler route shouldn't think that they are going to the merge or will be mixing it up like the FA guys IRT to A/A arena.

I think some guys have a misunderstanding of what they will be doing now that prowlers are turning into growlers. Especially studs in the VT's. Yeah a Growler and Rhino are very similar platform wise, but mission sets are 180 out.
I think we're in violent agreement. :)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I agree with everything you posted, but there have already been a couple CAGs who have been pushing the boundary WRT Growlers in an A/A role. 73s, 79s, etc, you get the picture. I'm just a CAT II these days, and don't have all the specifics. Just something for folks to be aware of.
Admittedly, I have no skin in this game anymore, and I'm G-ignorant. I'm a TACRONite now, unless and until I might somehow miraculously get picked to transition. But I still give a shit, and this still scares me. I was under the impression that as more VAQ types rolled into the syllabus, that this mindset would start to go away. Please tell me that there is still institutional pushback at this crap, because I really wonder sometimes whether VFA land is still going to do their damnedest to assimilate the G's, mission effectiveness and aircrew lives be damned. I'm getting mixed signals from my spies inside the wire.

Last edited:

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think people get it, for the most part. People are still exploring how to use the Gs capabilities in the most effective manner.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think people get it, for the most part. People are still exploring how to use the Gs capabilities in the most effective manner.
Cool. That's the good side of what I'd heard, but you know how people bitch. I will say that, if you run across any of them, there's some damn smart people and damn good dudes who are former members of your future command getting ready to teach out there. I can vouch for them, as they're all my former boat roommates. :)