• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

It's about time - (VO-67 finally recognized)

Flugelman

Contributor
VO-67 vets are finally getting some public recognition for their work. I knew a couple of folks who went to VO-67 and a couple who came to VP-1 when they decomm'ed. BZ, guys. Here's to you...

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
U.S. to honor members of squadron in 'secret war'

Interesting Star-Telegram article about the Navy's "Ghost Squadron", VO-67, flying the P-2 Neptune during Vietnam.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Bevo16

pilot
Here is an interesting article about a Navy (and one Marine) crew from VQ-1that was shot down 15 April 1969 by North Korean fighters. It was murder, plain and simple.

http://www.willyvictor.com/History/Korean_Shootdown/Korea.html

also:

http://www.dean-boys.com/shootdown/shoot.htm

Nixon decided that the best course of action was to do nothing. Vietnam was already a mess, and he did not want to open the door to new fighting in North Korea. Talk about a crappy job. Snooping off the coast of a hostile nation with no self defense, and no fighter cover.

Pags

N/A
pilot
VO-67.png

vo67p2.jpg

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here is an interesting article about a Navy (and one Marine) crew from VQ-1that was shot down 15 April 1969 by North Korean fighters. It was murder, plain and simple.

http://www.willyvictor.com/History/Korean_Shootdown/Korea.html

also:

http://www.dean-boys.com/shootdown/shoot.htm

Nixon decided that the best course of action was to do nothing. Vietnam was already a mess, and he did not want to open the door to new fighting in North Korea. Talk about a crappy job. Snooping off the coast of a hostile nation with no self defense, and no fighter cover.

There is a plaque that still hangs in VQ-1's entrance to the squadron spaces for the crew. We held a small ceremony in remembrance to the crew every year, we were still very aware of the danger even 30 years later.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
@ Budwhite: If it's still classified, then you shouldn't be talking about it here. I'm removing your 2 posts.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.....Nixon decided that the best course of action was to do nothing. Vietnam was already a mess, and he did not want to open the door to new fighting in North Korea.

Nothing "new" there ... SOP for UNCLE to put people out there up shit creek w/ out a paddle. I'm certain you've heard of these guys:

usspueblodk0.jpg
pueblocrewwm3.jpg

Bevo said:
Talk about a crappy job. Snooping off the coast of a hostile nation with no self defense....

Not totally -- Rube Goldberg, to be sure, but at least it goes "BANG". A VO-67 "add-on" ... :)

vo67m60bi1.jpg

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
In the Summer of '68, every weekly issue of Navy Times seemed to list several KIA's on VO-67. IMO, the P-2V was just too big & too slow for a low-level mission over the Ho Chi Minh Trail. A lot of good people lost their lives in this unit.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
... Nixon .... Vietnam was already a mess, and he did not want to open the door to new fighting in North Korea. Talk about a crappy job. Snooping off the coast of a hostile nation with no self defense, and no fighter cover.

Albeit a threadjack this needs a bit of context. Nixon Administration had been in office less than 3 months. Think the shootdown was a test of the new POTUS. Example, look forward to Bush 2 and the Chinese "incident" with the EP-3 that ended up on Hainan, clearly a test of the new POTUS. Further, the incident was just 4 months after the release of the Pueblo crew. Aboard the Pueblo, and still in NK hands, were all active SICRs in our National Security posture. Ergo, the NK's knew the routes of all the Intel flights up and down the coast, where the flight originated and where they terminated and the identification of all emitters we were interested in, what we knew of them and more importantly what we did not know, and at why the interest.

We can look forward to more "tests" in the near-term, IMHO. I hope not, but ....

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I have also heard that the shoot down in question happened right around the Premier's birthday and it was a "birthday" present to him from the military.

I've never bothered to check the dates, just throwing it out to the masses.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor