• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I've just read 2 books that I highly recommend:

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
The first is Neptune's Inferno: the US Navy at Guadalcanal, and the second is A Nightmare's Prayer, a personal history of a Harrior pilot in Afghanistan in 2002-03. The book on Guadalcanal is the most detailed account of US naval (surface) operations during that campaign that I have read. It is written by James D. Hornfischer who also wrote The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors, possibly the finest history of WWII US Navy surface action ever written. In Inferno we learn that the US Navy, in August 1942, was neither prepared or trained to fight night-time surface actions when we had to do so to keep the Marines from becoming overwhelmed by japanese reinforcements brought in nightly by surface transports sent down the "Slot" from Rabaul in New Britain. Our basic surface problem in the Solomon Islands campaign was that the US Navy had few carriers (3) in the Pacific at the time and only a few battleships as well - and we couldn't afford to lose any at that point in the war. The japanese, who didn't have surface-search or fire-control radar on their ships, were highly trained night-fighters and used their DDs very effectively as torpedo platforms as well. The US Navy had been re-fighting the Battle of Jutland for the prior 20 years, and - while excellent gunners generally - were not prepared to fight on the terms dictated by the japanese navy nor did we know how to use our radar to maximum effect. While we prevailed in the naval campaign eventually, we lost more ships & more tonnage than the japanese. Surprisingly, we lost 5,041 sailors in the Guadalcanal Campaign at sea as compared to only 1,592 marines killed ashore.

A Nightmare's Prayer , on the other hand, is a highly personal account by the exec of VMA-513, LTCol Michael Franzak, USMC (ret.). It covers his deployment to Afghanistan during the period 2002-03 flying the AV-8B Harrier. Franzak's story makes riveting and sometimes highly emotional reading. He was a confused teenager who joined the Navy in the early 80's and found himself growing-up faster than his peers. He became a NESEP (?) and took a USMC commission upon college graduation. He was a good stick, but not the best in his squadron. He was a good officer, but probably not the best in his unit, either. What made his story so compelling to me was that he (like many before him) came to question why he was being asked to kill people he didn't know when the reasons for & results of his risking his life everyday were so . . . inscrutable, to say the least. This thread has gone on too long, but the book is well-written, definitely from-the-heart, and an excellent source of good naval air stories from someone who lived it.

Both books are available on Amazon.com and in either new or used condition.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
I read A Nightmare's Prayer when I was in Kingsville and I too thoroughly enjoyed it. I actually flew with one of the guys Lt Col Franzak speaks about in the book while I was in Primary, though I obviously wasn't aware of it at the time.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Concur with INFERNO. Good depiction of bad leadership and bad tactics resulting in the worst tactical defeat in USN history at Savo Island.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I read Nightmare's Prayer. I think it's a good read for any Marine in primary or in jet advanced. It provides a different perspective to guys who hear nothing but "At the boat..." 30 times a day. I will need to reread it when Ive been through a deployment or two. I must admit that he reaches a little bit in the parts where he's trying to reminisce. The book also starts a little slow, but so did the deployment. I can't believe he admitted to falling asleep while airborne. George(AFC) is good, but he's not that good. Stick with it though. The last few chapters are pretty damn good, or at least better than almost every "my night in the barrel" story in the VT IP ready room.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
George(AFC) is good, but he's not that good. Stick with it though. The last few chapters are pretty damn good, or at least better than almost every "my night in the barrel" story in the VT IP ready room.

Please explain, I'm not following these 2 sentences.

Nightmare's Prayer was an awesome book. I think I read it in 2 days. Intensely personal at some points, like the check up from the female flight doc or when he felt he should have said something before the CO took a heavy division through some questionable weather.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Please explain, I'm not following these 2 sentences.

Nightmare's Prayer was an awesome book. I think I read it in 2 days. Intensely personal at some points, like the check up from the female flight doc or when he felt he should have said something before the CO took a heavy division through some questionable weather.

The first sentence is commenting on him being so sleep deprived that he actually falls asleep at the controls of a jet while in combat spread. The next part is commenting on how intense some of the missions were. I'd read a hundred books about combat before I read one about crazy case III recoveries to a pitching deck. I'm not discounting the work done there, but I find this book more interesting than that. However, the first half of the book isn't that terribly interesting.

I still haven't figured out how they pulled off that 8 ship join off of 2 perpendicular runways.