• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Janesville WI Airshow

yak52driver

Contributor
There was an awesome Naval Aviation presence at the Janesville WI airshow this weekend. Around 5 or 6 T-34C's were on the ramp, they parked me next to a T-45 that was from VT-9 if I remember correctly. The pilots were both IP's from Meridian. I believe there was another T-45, too. A couple of F-18's from the Werewolves were there on static display (VMFA-122?). The Blues flew an awesome show. Number 4 had a mechanical and landed about 5 minutes into the show and within a few minutes number 7 was up and joined up in the number 4 slot. My question, does anyone know if that is SOP and does the pilot that was flying 4 jump into 7, or does the 7 pilot fly the rest of the show. They did a spectacular job.

HuggyU2

None
#4 (or whoever breaks) jumps into #7 jet. The #7 pilot is the narrator. Only the jet itself changes.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
... A couple of F-18's from the Werewolves were there on static display (VMFA-122?). .....
yea, the "Werewolves" are VMFA-122 ... they were the "Crusaders" but had to change their name in order to deploy to Iraq last year...

S/F

Bevo16

pilot
yea, the "Werewolves" are VMFA-122 ... they were the "Crusaders" but had to change their name in order to deploy to Iraq last year...

S/F

STFU!!!!

Tell me you are making that up. I may have just died a little inside.

Are they going to stop being the "Devil Dogs" to avoid offending PETA? WTFO!?!?

yak52driver

Contributor
#4 (or whoever breaks) jumps into #7 jet. The #7 pilot is the narrator. Only the jet itself changes.

Is there much difference in how the one seat F-18 flies versus the two seat model? I'm guessing they all train flying their positions in both versions.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
"Prior to another squadron deployment in support of OIF later in 2008 and to remain politically correct, the squadron was reverted to their WWII nickname, the Werewolves.[5] The squadron began its first combat deployment in more than 30 years when it left MCAS Beaufort on August 29, 2008 for Al Asad Airbase.[6][7] The Werewolves returned from there seven month deployment on March 21, 2009.[8]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VMFA-122

Thats kind of dumb, but I'm not really surprised. Dropping bombs on people definitely won't piss them off, but if you're a crusader AND you drop bombs, stand by to be jeeehawww-d, infidel!

FLY_USMC

pilot
I guess the desire to get off the "eternal WestPAC" deployment list would make me change my name too! YakDriver, the two fly essentially the same, minus a little less gas in the Delta and technically less top end.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
STFU!!!!

Tell me you are making that up. I may have just died a little inside.

Are they going to stop being the "Devil Dogs" to avoid offending PETA? WTFO!?!?

Where did that come down from?
I know, it's F'd up for sure! I've got a couple buddies in the squadron who told me about it.

Up until they deployed last year to Iraq, they were the only Hornet squadron (probably the only squadron in the Marine Corps) that hadn't been to OIF or OEF. When I was at Beaufort, rumor amongst their JO's was that they weren't going because of their name. Of course, when the topic was brought up to the Wing & MEF Generals at the time during a couple MAG-wide AOM's that I attended, those Generals denied the name had anything to do with it...they offered the excuse that it was because of the deployment cycle & the Crusades timing was "un-lucky".

A couple years ago, General Conway was at Beaufort and had asked the crowd for questions.... the -122 SgtMaj stood up and asked why they hadn't been to either OIF or OEF (this was around the time of the "Every Marine into the Fight" ALMAR)... nobody could answer the question ... so within weeks the TEEP changed & -122 found itself heading to Iraq, with the requirement that it had to change it's name... which proved what the JO's had been saying a few years prior - that it wasn't politically correct to send the "Crusaders" to the Middle East...

sad, but true...

S/F

VFA-203 Forever

So You Like To Put fishsticks in your mouth?
Up until they deployed last year to Iraq, they were the only Hornet squadron (probably the only squadron in the Marine Corps) that hadn't been to OIF or OEF.

S/F

Surprisingly, Almost true.

Just the USMCR Squadrons (What's left, anyway...) minus the Gators (142) haven't been (Although 112 was about as close it comes to getting the call) and almost true for the entire USN/USMC inventory, Minus, again, Just Reserve Units (201 went and 203/204 never have/did).

I'm actually unsure if 314 has participated, or not (I think they did...Definitely OEF..Unsure on OIF since UDP has been their forte since 2003-04 it appears)

I'll admit the new Wolf patch is pretty bad-ass as is the CO Jet!
http://skywarrior.cool.ne.jp/VMFA-122-2008_werewolve1.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3648/3367281848_868dd913f8.jpg?v=0