• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Japan

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
XeroCool said:
Anyone see this about US pulling units out of Japan....while Japan foots the bill.....
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/04/23/japan.usmilitary.ap/index.html

Anyone see the South Park where Japan tries to take over America and all they could say in their defense was they couldnt be up to anything because Americans have just large penis while they dont......Maybe thats how they talked us out of Okinawa. Food for Thought

~X
It's been in the works for some time.

Brett

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Hmm... Or it could be that they're tired of US servicemembers tearing the sh!t out of their little "Poor Man's Hawaii". I'm not saying that we should or shouldn't leave Okinawa, mind you, but an argument can be made for US forces to be sent packing. But we knew this already.

And as far as Japan footing the bill, that's just par for the course. It's part of the original mutual security pact your article mentions, and the reasons why are apparent. The Japanese economy is about profits, and why should they sink such a massive amount of money into something that doesn't really return any? If you can find it, I suggest reading (the Engris version, unless you're kanji skills are better than mine) a copy of "The Defense of Japan", which is somewhat akin to our Quadrennial Defense Review. It elaborates on a lot of things concerning spending, their own BRAC commission, troop strengths, etc. A well-stocked university library might have it, but you'd still probably have to do some digging.

Personally, I think that the Japanese would not be comfortable removing all US forces from their soil, even if they do support lessening Okinawa's share of the burden. Why? I've said it before, and I'll say it again: They're still seen as that region's 'recovering alcoholics', and Japan has far too many hateful feelings towards it to go it alone there.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Hmmm....

gaijin6423 said:
The Japanese economy is about profits, and why should they sink such a massive amount of money into something that doesn't really return any?
Gaijin, for the majority of your Japan posts, I think you bring alot of insight and a reasoned discussion to the mix. But this comment caught my, eye could not be farther from the mark.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Concur,
The Japanese are no slouch when it comes to defense spending. Most of their gear is first rate and realtively young. Their forces though smallish are very top heavy in Os and SNCOs....hmmmmm a solid skeleton on which to quickly build a larger force??????

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Appologies for the confusion. Perhaps I should have elaborated a bit more, or at least clarified that statement? I'd say that the common oppinion of the Japanese PUBLIC, to include many in both the upper and lower parlimentary houses, is that it doesn't return much on the investment. I have theories on why, but I'll spare you the long-winded dissertation for now. Suffice it to say that I think it's a combination of Article 9, post-WWII educational policies, and Japan's history as a farming nation.

As for their gear, I'd say that it can be hit-or-miss. They have some incredibly great stuff, such as a first-rate dive training facility that Force and the SeALs absolutely love. On the flipside, though, I've seen some of their facilities, subs and ships that are just plain rundown. Make no mistake, though, the warrior spirit is very much alive in the JSDF. A prime example is their "We-swear-to-god-we're-not-SeALs-but-we-really-are-kind-of" frogmen, who are officially something akin to a UDT unit. In reality, though, they perform a variety of missions, from reconnaissance and EOD, to anti-terror and direct action. Some of the best trained, best equipped, most professional, and most hard-partying individuals I have ever met.

In the words of a former Vice CNO of the JMSDF (my host father), though, "It becomes more and more difficult to do more and more with less and less."

Skidkid, you're right on the money with the top-heavy description, and it wouldn't surprise me if that was why they do it. I've never heard any official mention of it anywhere, but considering the situation Japan is in, it would be very surprising for them to not have such a contingency plan in place.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
They do have a nice collection of first rate gear over here. Especially the new 60K they have. If only we were smart enough to make a helo like that and dump the Romeo and Sierra. That is one hot piece of gear.

BOMBSonHAWKEYES

pilot
lowflier03 said:
They do have a nice collection of first rate gear over here. Especially the new 60K they have. If only we were smart enough to make a helo like that and dump the Romeo and Sierra. That is one hot piece of gear.

I would hope they had hot gear considering that during the last war they entered they got 67 of their 68 largest cities burned to the ground.