• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

JASDF video

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...found this interesting, the music could use some work though. Does anyone have any experience training with the JASDF?

http://www.patricksaviation.com/videos/mizuno/1714/

I've worked with their air and naval forces and IMO, they're real pros. It's just a matter of time before the geo/pol situation with N. Korea/China/Russia warrants a long overdue change to their constitution which allows an expansion of their military forces along with the roles in which they're able to participate. The Js are among our strongest allies, and their long history of the warrior culture should be unleashed.

Brett

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
I was going to ask about that expansion issue. What are the specific limitations anyway? ...my history has escaped me. From the video it looks like they're pretty high speed. Do you think that if they expanded they would aide us in operations within other theatres (ie Iraq/Afghanistan) to a greater extent?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was going to ask about that expansion issue. What are the specific limitations anyway? ...my history has escaped me. From the video it looks like they're pretty high speed. Do you think that if they expanded they would aide us in operations within other theatres (ie Iraq/Afghanistan) to a greater extent?

I suspect so. I'll have to review the exact constitutional verbiage tomorrow, but they're already bending that, and their PM is eager to explore those boundaries as well - rightfully so. It's been ~ 60 years since WWII and the geo/pol situation is completely different. It's time for both Germany and Japan to cast off their anachronistic chains. I'm not among those who point alarmingly towards China, but the ever-increasing aggressiveness of Putin, along with the potential threat posed by China is ripe for a resurgence of Japanese power, IMO.

Brett

invertedflyer

It would certainly help us in that region of the world. I'm sure this has been brought to the forefront by many political advisors; its probably a pressing issue given the current situation. It definitely seems like some action should be taken. If anything went wrong in that corner of the world they are our closest allies... and given our current operations our forces would possibly be over-extended. I went to a NK presentation this last week and a few valid points were made. The presenter seemed to think that NK's program was solely aimed towards its people, asserting their power in a way that would allow them to continue to enslave their own population...kind of a "hearts and minds" show of power argument. IMO NK's government may not be the most rational out there, but he at least made a good point. They couldn't realistically hope to win against the allied powers. However, they would certainly be harbingers of a very costly campaign on our end. what do you think? Thanks for your prev. perspectives/info.

*I was born in Tokyo -- have my samurai sword in the closet ;) Their warrior culture is certainly an interesting topic.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Basically, Article 9 of the Japanese constitution says that the Japanese people forever surrender the right of a sovreign nation to maintain offensive military capability. I'm paraphrasing, of course, but that's essentially the way it's written, courtesy of Gen. Douglas McArthur. We can--and many people have--argue endlessly over what does and does not constitute offensive military capability. Some, to include many Japanese, consider any form of military force offensive in nature. Others, particularly members of the different branches of JSDF, feel that there must be some flavor of offensive in order to gain full defensive benefit from a military force. I happen to agree with the latter school of thought.

As far as as the JSDF is concerned, Brett is completely correct: They're consumate professionals. I've worked with them many times while stationed in Iwakuni, and I did a brief, 6 week exchange program with them after graduating from college. I spent 3 of those weeks as a JMSDF candidate, and spent the last 3 teaching English at their National Defense Academy, which is kind of like West Point, Annapolis, and Colorado Springs, all rolled into one. I have nothing but positive things to say about the experience and the people, but I'll keep the love-fest to a minimum.

Will the Japanese constitution ever change? Eventually, I think that it will, but if they want to change it, Japan will have to build some bridges prior to doing so. Mainly, they're going to have to publicly apologize for atrocities they committed in WW2. But by doing so, they're going to have to acknowledge that they did anything wrong at all. That in itself would go a long way into smoothing things over with some of the nations they messed with.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
I dont think the Japanese military will expand until we are forced out. (Which based on recent incidents could eventually happen.) It is interesting to note that America's approval rating is higher in Japan than in any of our other Allied Countries. Their equipment is top notch, actually quite a bit is much better than what we operate with. Heck, the Sikorsky and Navy engineers hadnt even heard of some of the stuff the J's did with their helos when we asked why we couldnt have the same. They are extremely professional and take their job very seriously. I am glad they are an ally.

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
In the early '80's we did some work out of Misawa with their F-1's and F-4's. They were all very professional and quite good. We had to remind ourselves that it was only 35 years since the Big Two were dropped, and almost every pilot we dealt with had a relative or friend injured or killed by the blasts, so we were sensitive to it and only a rare few showed any anger because of it.

invertedflyer

Thanks for the responses, interesting perspectives. It sounds like they have a good sense of professionalism and keep their equipment fairly immaculate. I would agree that its possible for us to be forced out of the region, however I tend to lean towards continued alliance between us and Japan ( to include our maintaining of bases in Japan). At least I hope that'll be the case, especially after our discussion here. I hope for the opportunity to have the pleasure of training with them someday. thanks.