• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

JFK en route to Philly

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
NAVSEA News Release on JFK and where to view her passing:

JFK Towed to Philadelphia for Storage

PHILADELPHIA – The decommissioned aircraft carrier ex-John F. Kennedy (CV 67) is scheduled to arrive March 22 at the Navy’s Inactive Ships Maintenance Facility in Philadelphia for preservation and storage. Due to safety and security concerns, the ship will not be open for tours while in storage in Philadelphia.

A contracted tug boat began towing the inactive carrier John F. Kennedy from Norfolk Naval Station on March 17. The ship was originally scheduled to be towed to Philadelphia in August 2007, but was instead towed to Norfolk while the Navy dredged in the vicinity of Pier 4 to further increase the safety of the ship mooring process and the surrounding waterway.

The public may view the carrier’s journey up the Delaware River from many locations along the river in Pennsylvania, Delaware, and New Jersey. These include Gov. Printz Park in Essington, Pa.; Fox Point State Park in Wilmington, Del.; Ft. DuPont State Park, Del.; New Castle Battery Park in New Castle, Del.; Delaware City State Park, Del.; Red Bank Battlefield, Red Bank, N.J.; other public parks between Cape May and National Park, N.J.

Ex-John F. Kennedy is currently on the Navy’s inactive inventory, meaning the ship has been taken out of commission and laid up for safe storage pending a future SECNAV decision regarding the ultimate disposition of the ship. As required by the FY07 National Defense Authorization Act, the Navy will maintain the ship in a state of preservation that would allow for reactivation in the event the carrier is needed in response to a national emergency. The ship’s historical items have been removed and transferred to the Curator of the Navy for preservation and storage.

Named in honor of the 35th President of the United States, Ex-John F Kennedy’s keel was laid in 1964 at Newport News Shipbuilding and Drydock Company in Newport News, Va. In 1967, nine-year-old Caroline Kennedy, daughter of the late president, christened the ship. “Big John”, as the carrier would become known, was commissioned in September 1968.

A veteran of 18 deployments to the Mediterranean Sea and Middle East, ex-John F. Kennedy amassed more than 260,000 arrested landings on her flight deck while operating virtually every tactical aircraft in the Navy’s arsenal. In 1989 two of the embarked air wing’s F-14 Tomcats shot down two Libyan MIG-23s that were approaching the battle group in a hostile manner. The carrier also participated in numerous other campaigns including Operations Desert Storm, Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom, and was sortied following the 2001 terrorist attack on the World Trade Center.

Homeported at Naval Station Mayport since 1995, ex-John F. Kennedy most recently served as a training platform for naval aviators to obtain their carrier landing qualifications. Her final port call was to Boston in March 2007.

The ship measures over 1,050 feet long, displaces 82,000 tons and could carry 70 combat aircraft – the full complement of today's carrier air wing. The crew consisted of more than 4,600 personnel when including the air wing. Ex-John F. Kennedy was one of the two remaining fossil-fueled aircraft carriers in the U.S. Navy.

Lonestar155

is good to go
If any of you snap any photos of the voyage, please share and post... She was the first carrier I ever stepped foot on. Granted it was only a ship tour, but it was a special day I got to share with my old man. I knew the carrier was a place where I would someday want to live as a home away from home!

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If any of you snap any photos of the voyage, please share and post... She was the first carrier I ever stepped foot on. Granted it was only a ship tour, but it was a special day I got to share with my old man. I knew the carrier was a place where I would someday want to live as a home away from home!

My favorite Kennedy shot

DN-SC-91-03711.JPG

Operation / Series: DESERT SHIELD
A view from atop the island structure aboard the aircraft carrier USS JOHN F. KENNEDY (CV-67) of F-14A Tomcat aircraft from Fighter Squadron 14 (VF-14) and Fighter Squadron 32 (VF-32) on the ship's flight deck.
Camera Operator: PH2 CHARLES W. MOORE

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Kennedy, arriving...

web_080322-G-7444G-005.jpg

080322-G-7444G-005 PHILADELPHIA (March 22, 2007) The decommissioned aircraft carrier EX-John F. Kennedy (CV 67) is towed Saturday, March 22, 2008 into the Port of Philadelphia, Penn. to join other decommissioned ships at the Navy Inactive Ships Maintenance Facility. Kennedy was commissioned in May 1967 by the late President John F. Kennedy's 9-year-old daughter Caroline. The 1,050-foot-long carrier served nearly 40 years and saw combat action in the Mediterranean Sea and the Persian Gulf during Desert Storm and the war on Terrorism. (U.S. Coast Guard photo by Petty Officer 3rd Class Ann Marie Gorden (Released)

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I was in Philly in '95-ish, when JFK was drydocked and took a tour. It was cool to walk underneath this enormous ship. The inactive ship collection at what used to be the Philly Navy Yard is pretty cool, too. If we ever go back to needing oil-burning ships with 8-in guns, at least we have a few in the closet!

SH-60OB

pilot

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yep, the last ship there with 8-inch guns was the USS Des Moines. A group in Wisconsin tried to turn her into a museum, but it fell through. She was towed out of the yard in July of '06 bound for Texas, where she was scrapped. Here's a link to some pictures of her leaving Philly/arriving in Texas. http://ussdesmoines.com/movement.html