• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

JFK leaves Mayport

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
USS John F Kennedy departed Mayport on the 26th under tow to her eventual new home at Philly

web_070726-N-8544C-050.jpg

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Are they going to make her into a museam as well ?

Perhaps someday

I was on JFK during Fleet Week in Boston in summer of 90 and that town loves the ship due to its namesake connections, but to turn her into a museum would take serious cash. Not to say it couldn't be raised, but as noted in article, she'll be mothballed in Philly for now.

2sr2worry

Naval Aviation=world's greatest team sport
Perhaps someday

I was on JFK during Fleet Week in Boston in summer of 90 and that town loves the ship due to its namesake connections, but to turn her into a museum would take serious cash. Not to say it couldn't be raised, but as noted in article, she'll be mothballed in Philly for now.

JFK being towed to Norfolk, not Philly. Water depth at Philly turned out to be too shallow to moor JFK without dredging first.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
JFK being towed to Norfolk, not Philly. Water depth at Philly turned out to be too shallow to moor JFK without dredging first.

They're still working that out. The water at pier is fine, it's the passage there that the Pilots are disputing so with Hurricane season approaching, they're moving her north until the Philly situation is resolved. Note: I said "eventual" home.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
I can't say I had any feelings one way or another about the JFK leaving Mayport but I will say she surprised the hell out of me on Thursday morning. We were headed out to the warning area for a training flight and all of the sudden I see a carrier at about 10 o'clock and within 10 miles or so. It took all five of us in the flight station a couple seconds to figure out that that was the Kennedy. Cool to see her going to sea, even if it was a tug hauling her up the coast. I guess I need to pay attention to the local news better. Too bad the picture I took turned out like crap.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Since they decommed the JFK the morning traffic going into Mayport is almost nonexistent. I like not having so many shoes on base now.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
Here is a picture I took of the boat when I was stationed on it back in the 90's when I was enlisted.

JFK.jpg

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Here is a picture I took of the boat when I was stationed on it back in the 90's when I was enlisted.

Yeah, that pic is/was all over the ship. In the Flag Mess, CO's inport cabin, wardroom, third shitter fromt he shooter shack...
Nice pic. I'll actually miss that ship a little...