• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

JHMCS helmet Video

Found a video of a Rhino pilot flying around with it on.

I did a search and saw that there has been some discussion on this but thought people might like to see the video and discuss some more as maybe more Navy squadrons are getting the helmet now.

http://www.strategypage.com/military_photos/20078422211.aspx

How many squadrons have these now for the Navy?
I know a large majority of ours are getting them more and more everyday.
Just about every 16 squadron has them and a good portion of the 15's.

I am pretty sure the "Bug" helmet shown in the other threads is specifically for the JSF (No HUD) and possibly for the F-22, whereas this version shown in the video is standard for older model A/C.

I know that the Nellis Agressors have a few of the Aim-9X now as well so it is letting them actually use the HOBS system, are you guys getting the same advantages or still using the older Aim-9's?

shotcalla10

what percent of RL officers get jets?
they look kind of goofy from the outside, compared to those like the one on your avatar.

montellv

Professional Badguy
pilot
From the Helmet footage I saw it looks like he had the display turned all the way down. Most (if not all) Rhino's are flying with the helmet in the front seat. Some new lots will also have it in the aft cockpit for the WSO's.
The camera is mounted high up so the view is a little different. As far as the display, it is the same as the HUD without the pitch ladder and velocity vector. It also gives fields of view for the weapon selected.

bosox144

Seems similar to the Longbow system currently in use by the Apache Pilots. What does this just replace the physical HUD screen?

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Found a video of a Rhino pilot flying around with it on.

I did a search and saw that there has been some discussion on this but thought people might like to see the video and discuss some more as maybe more Navy squadrons are getting the helmet now.

http://www.strategypage.com/military_photos/20078422211.aspx

How many squadrons have these now for the Navy?
I know a large majority of ours are getting them more and more everyday.
Just about every 16 squadron has them and a good portion of the 15's.

I am pretty sure the "Bug" helmet shown in the other threads is specifically for the JSF (No HUD) and possibly for the F-22, whereas this version shown in the video is standard for older model A/C.

I know that the Nellis Agressors have a few of the Aim-9X now as well so it is letting them actually use the HOBS system, are you guys getting the same advantages or still using the older Aim-9's?

Although the pilot was wearing a JHMCS, there was only a (very brief) section of helmet footage (the part where he's landing daytime... he's blanked out the symbology though). All the rest is HUD footage.

Most of the Rhino squadrons, though not all, have helmet capability... I believe it's lot 25+ which have the mods. Aft cockpit will start to get them soon as a mod... one squadron has a few prototypes, but that's non-standard. We've got full up AIM-9X/HOBS capability, which makes BFM completely ridiculous, but still have the -9M in the inventory, so sometime we end up stuck with those... I doubt we'd ever fly with anything but -9X in combat if we could help it.

Underrated as an A/G sensor... being able to cue the FLIR to a target just by looking at it is sweeet...

FastMover

NFO
None
I read an article on here a while back that talked about VFA-213 being the first unit with the AIM-9X/JHMCS/AESA combo. Have any others joined them?

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
I read an article on here a while back that talked about VFA-213 being the first unit with the AIM-9X/JHMCS/AESA combo. Have any others joined them?

VFA-31 and VFA-22. There's no Rhinos with AESA but not the other two, so that's a little PR action... all lot 29+ will have all of the above, plus the ability to retrofit 26+

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Underrated as an A/G sensor... being able to cue the FLIR to a target just by looking at it is sweeet...

I know some Hog guys who said they would like to see the JHMCS capability put into the A-10 just for that kind of capability.

We've got full up AIM-9X/HOBS capability, which makes BFM completely ridiculous,

Yeah that HOBS setup kind of takes the difficulty out of AA not to say that it is just a cakewalk now but not having to put your nose in a 30 degree cone is gotta be nice.

As far as AG I wish we would have had this for our LATRIN pod when I was still flying in the E would have been a great help.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I did my 1/c cruise w/ -22 and they had the helmets. Pretty funny looking darth vader stuff when they get out of the jet w. them on. Only thing I remember about it was some of the guys in the squadron complaining about the helmet rotating up their heads during BFM due to the extra mass up high, causing the visual cues to go above their eyes......maybe someone can elaborate on this

montellv

Professional Badguy
pilot
The thing with the "Magic Helmet" is it needs to be tighter than the standard issue. For me, it always gave me a headache until I got it set-up just right and broken in. It does move around some but the weight wasn't an issue for me. It has a pretty serious cord coming out of the back and once I found the right spot for that, I stopped having issues.

On a side note, The JHMCS connection is right where the O2 connects so it was disconnecting the O2 and comm at first. Most of us figured that correction out real quick.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
Are the Super bugs the only ones with the capabilities for this on the Sea side?

Im just curious if any Marines will be using these soon.