• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

JSF and UAV's

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubba716

Hey everybody me and my pops were watching a show about the JSF the other day and he made a comment about the JSF quite possibly being the last manned fighter aircraft produced. I was just wondering what yalls thoughts on this were. UAV's can already do many things that manned aircraft can, who knows what will be developed over the next few years. Personally I hope that UAV's never totally take over manned flight, especially in fighters. Any thoughts?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just a wet-behind-the-ears O-1 here, but I'll believe it when I see it.

ben4prez

pilot
Unfortunately, I would imagine that UCAV's would replace pure fighters first...some of the modern SAMs and air to air missiles can perform maneuvers that pull high-teen G's (The Russian SA-10 travels at six times the speed of sound and maneuvering at 100 - one hundred - g's) while maintaining structural integrity, whereas human pilots obviously cannot undergo such physical stress. And while our top-of-the-line aircraft could potentially escape unscathed after such acceleration forces, the pilot would be pretty far into a blackout (probably death) by the time he pulled through the first avoidance maneuver.

Even disregarding this though, it seems to me we are pretty close to a pilotless cockpit when the F/A-18 does carrier launches and landings virtually hands-off (or at least has the proven capability to). It seems to me that modern fighters have pilots for the mere appearance of a human face in air combat.

Clearly, there is a place for pilots in CAS (think A-10) when split-second decisions have to be made, but even here, how many of us have played fighter/attack computer games where we strafe troops, destroy tanks and shoot bombs through windows? I would bet many of us...The combination of Wi-Fi and aircraft capabilities seems to inevitably trending towards more automation for every aspect of air warfare.

If we want to be a capabilities based military, clearly UCAVs are the way to go in terms of cost savings, efficiency and battlefield effectiveness. and I say this as one who has dreamed of becoming a naval aviator for years. The hard reality for me is that while I would personally hope aviators could still fly, it makes more sense from a strategic standpoint to build stealthy, highly-maneuverable UAV's that can avoid the air defences of our most likely enemies. Plus, you dont have to spend $1.5 million training a 22 year old to fly when you just pop him in a simulator for every training hop.

This is the wave of the future, unless you want helo's real bad ;-)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Please
lock.jpg

or

Divert.gif

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
but my neighbor's dad, who by the way is a top gun grad, told me that machines will never be able to do what people can do when it comes to being a top gun like mavrick!

Status
Not open for further replies.