• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Just got called

slurvin

It's good cape weather, cool, breezy
Today I got called from a Major in the Marines who is my local NROTC recruiter about my initial NROTC 4 year scholarship application I filled out over the summer. He broke down all of the steps that I have to accomplish in the coming months and he said he would send me some other paperwork I will have to fill out this week. He said the boards will meet in November and I should be able to get everything done by then.

To give you a little academic background about me I rank in the top 40% of my class (I had some trouble freshmen year, but have showed improvement since then) and I got a 24 on the ACT with math and science scores at 28 and 24 respectively. I am not sure if I can use this score because it wasn’t taken on a National test date, but rather on my schools’ test date. I got a 22 on the National test date, although my scores in math and science were 25s I believe. I play soccer for my school and am in really good physical shape right now. I will also have my pilot's license within two weeks (just trying to find time to schedule my check ride), and I have won a couple of academic awards from my school.

What I might be worried about as far as picking up a scholarship is my barely above average grades and ACT score. Also during my freshmen year, 3 years ago, I had a hernia surgery, but since have passed 2 sports physicals and a FAA medical exam.

Should I tell the doctors at MEPS (I assume this is where I will have everything checked out) about my surgery? Which could potentially DQ myself physically for whatever reason or having to get everything re-evaluated again when there is no problem.

Also I know that no one from the board reads this here, but does anyone know if I stand a chance for a scholarship? I know I am not sitting too well with my grades, but physically I think I can make up by maxing out in the PFT in pull-ups, and sit-ups. I am still working on my run time because it definitely could be better if I actually trained (it would be about a 21 minute 3 mile if I ran today).

Sorry for the long post, but this is sort of exciting and unfamiliar process to me, thanks for reading.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
You probably wont go to MEPS. You will have to do a DODMERB form where you just go to a doctor contracted by the Navy to fill out a form saying you are in good shape.

If you dont get the schollarship look into the college program... Most of the people I know that commissioned or are about to comission werent on Schollarship their first year.

Cavt

Living the dream
pilot
Yes tell them about the hernia! It would be better to tell them and not get picked up then hide it and have it come out (and it will come out at some point) and get kicked out.

Iron Maiden

The next Board is scheduled for Sept as I understand it. I believe the Boards meet at least every month thru April so you should be fine.

Good luck!

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Slurvn,

Grades definitely do matter when it comes to applying for the scholarship. I think it does depend on Navy vs Marine option, but they like high marks. You mentioned your Math and Science portion of the ACT....English and Math are the most important portions of the test, just FYI.

Stay in great shape, and if you want to be a contender for a Marine scholarship, get that run time down. PLENTY of people pick up a scholarship after doing very well their Freshman year. If you dont pick it up now, DO WELL as a college programmer and earn your scholarship.

-Noze

jcj

Yes tell them about the hernia! It would be better to tell them and not get picked up then hide it and have it come out (and it will come out at some point) and get kicked out.

A hernia that has been repaired will not be a problem provided the surgery was successful & you've had no complications. You must report it, though. Get in the habit early of answering questions like this honestly. If your integrity comes into serious question, you are seriously screwed.

slurvin

It's good cape weather, cool, breezy
Thanks for all the replies thus far!

To nozeman:
It was weird because my scores were the same on both ACT tests for the science and english sections, so I shoud have just clarified it earlier.

I hope no one got the impression that I was going to lie if asked about surgery. I just got the impression from applicants on here that sometimes by telling the doctors too much information you can dq yourself when you are completely fine. There have been no problems since and I would have no reason to hide anything.

I will just have to see how this all plays out and hopefully I will qualify. Thanks for all of your help.

Skippy

Now with 27% less bullshit.

Absolutely. I had a hernia develop (as in not a stress one, just the way my body grew) and I didn't know what it was. They made me fix it before I could go on my first class cruise at an HSL Squadron in San Diego, and once it got fixed there wasn't a problem. Definitely tell them.

Generally, the rule for applying DoDMERB to ROTC is tell them anything that will show up on an X-Ray or anything that left a scar, which I assume your hernia operation did.

Cavt

Living the dream
pilot
A hernia that has been repaired will not be a problem provided the surgery was successful & you've had no complications. You must report it, though. Get in the habit early of answering questions like this honestly. If your integrity comes into serious question, you are seriously screwed.

That's totally true, the integrity part was the point of my post. Think about this, there was a dude at OCS who's camp stool was busted at some point over the summer between PLC Juniors and Seniors, he came back for Seniors, they gave him a new one, he never paid for it thinking it was getting surveyed out. When it was found out that it broke not at OCS and he didn't pay for the new one they kicked him out of OCS on in integrity violation. It's one thing to not tell the doc about broken pinkie you had in 8th grade, its a whole other to hide a major surgery.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Think about this, there was a dude at OCS who's camp stool was busted at some point over the summer between PLC Juniors and Seniors, he came back for Seniors, they gave him a new one, he never paid for it thinking it was getting surveyed out. When it was found out that it broke not at OCS and he didn't pay for the new one they kicked him out of OCS on in integrity violation.

Regardless of what some overzealous DI's think, that has nothing to do with integrity. An honest mistake is an honest mistake and has nothing to do with integrity.