• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Just read on Aviation Week on-line that the USAF

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
is going to mothball immediately the 38 new C-27Js they were getting for intra-theater transport. Why doesn't the USMC take them, make half of them gunships & use the others for their own transport needs in Afghanistan & other GWOT places? Just an idea.

robav8r

None
Contributor
I think looming fears of Sequestration are causing everyone to consider unnatural acts of budget belt tightning in an attempt to stave off further cuts in their programs.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Fog...you know the answer is the same thing that always kills ideas that make good sense: "It's a different pot of money...."

Reactions: Fog

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
This is the second time the Air Force has gotten out of the C-27 business. When we closed down Howard AFB, Panama they got rid of all the C-27 over the objections of Southcom and the Army. Along comes Iraq, the Army says they are going to get C-27s and the Air Force crys "They're ours, you can't have them!"

History is repeating itself. The Army will ask for them and the Air Force will suddenly decide they need them.

Reactions: Fog

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
It's OK to visit Davis-Mothan and find the types of a/c you've flown (if not an actual BuNo in one of the old squadrons), but somebody should walk the plank when a service takes over a new a/c program from another service (as the AF did to the Army) and then kills it suit their parochial needs. Reminds me of the Army Caribous they flew in Viet Nam - only to disappear forever.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Could this bea "shaping fire" like the Navy recently employed when saying we might have to go to 10 carrier from our present 11.
This might be a way to get specific Senators and Congressmen involed in the fight on the DOD's side.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Could this bea "shaping fire" ... to get specific Senators and Congressmen involved ...

I follow your logic- what a screwed-up playbook! (I'm not shooting the messenger--you--here.)

Coota0

None
Or the USAF could turn the unused aircraft back over to the Army, the USAF's former partner in the program before the USAF through a fit and decided that they needed full control of the program and all of the aircraft.