• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Just took the ASTB Today. 44/5/7/7, should I try to raise my AQR?

I took the ASTB this morning, 44/5/7/7. I feel I did pretty well, little to no flight sim experience (however I just got a stick and throttle last week and started prating on the Jantzen sim) and I am very happy with the 7/7 but not too pleased with AQR. I feel I did alright with the Math, Reading and ANIT but the Mechanical Comp was nothing like what I expected. I never took physics so I just studied basics of simple machines, SI's, mechanical advantage and some related things.

I feel I can do better with the AQR if I study for the next month until I can retake; I also feel like since I have very little experience with the stick and throttle but still went 7/7, I could raise those scores no question. I am just wondering if I should retake it to make myself more competitive or try to go before the board as is?

3.51 GPA, Cum Laude. Pretty solid extracurricular involvement and leadership experience. I was arrested my sophomore year of college but all charges have been expunged so my record is clean.

I know 6/6/6 is automatic selection for NFO's and 7/7/7 is automatic selection for Pilot. I am so close, should I take it again and try to get to get my AQR score to the threshold for automatic selection so I can just forgo the board or ride with what I have?

Going for Pilot first, NFO second.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I took the ASTB this morning, 44/5/7/7. I feel I did pretty well, little to no flight sim experience (however I just got a stick and throttle last week and started prating on the Jantzen sim) and I am very happy with the 7/7 but not too pleased with AQR. I feel I did alright with the Math, Reading and ANIT but the Mechanical Comp was nothing like what I expected. I never took physics so I just studied basics of simple machines, SI's, mechanical advantage and some related things.

I feel I can do better with the AQR if I study for the next month until I can retake; I also feel like since I have very little experience with the stick and throttle but still went 7/7, I could raise those scores no question. I am just wondering if I should retake it to make myself more competitive or try to go before the board as is?

3.51 GPA, Cum Laude. Pretty solid extracurricular involvement and leadership experience. I was arrested my sophomore year of college but all charges have been expunged so my record is clean.

I know 6/6/6 is automatic selection for NFO's and 7/7/7 is automatic selection for Pilot. I am so close, should I take it again and try to get to get my AQR score to the threshold for automatic selection so I can just forgo the board or ride with what I have?

Welcome to the page. As a heads up, the new guy posts are frowned upon and discouraged by the Mods/forum, since they are asked and answered so regularly.

As a start, check out the various Aviation (Pilot/NFO) OCS board threads. From there you can gouge and see where you stack. Good luck.

yourtmate

although those aren't bad scores, i'd definitely retake to increase the chance for a spot on the pilot board. test taker scores historically improve after the 2nd attempt.

obviously focus on increasing your AQR score. refer to this post:
Academic Qualifications Rating (AQR): This score is affected by performance on all subtests, but the strongest influence is made by the Math Skills Test.

Don't worry about it. You're new and he's just a troll that posts the same thing over and over.

Furthermore, from my experience as a prior ASTB Program Manager at a ROTC Unit (autoselection is not a thing to my knowledge for Midshipmen) I would recommend retaking so that you can raise both your OAR (that score shows the board how well you'll do in academics at OCS) and AQR (how you will to at API/NIFE; whatever it's called today) scores to have more of competitive edge among your peers at the board.

Very rarely did I see individuals who actually took the time to study and want to improve their scores regress on their second or third attempt.

For studying I would focus on the areas you felt weak at while "maintaining" on the other portions of the exam that you did well on to prevent knowledge regression.

If you have any additional questions you can PM me.

although those aren't bad scores, i'd definitely retake to increase the chance for a spot on the pilot board. test taker scores historically improve after the 2nd attempt.

obviously focus on increasing your AQR score. refer to this post:
NAMI actually has never released what portions of the ASTB affect which scores. Anyone saying that they know either works at NAMI (highly doubt they would release that information) or is BSing you. I believe that is an overview provided by the VT ROTC unit, wouldn't call it reliable.

The only thing that is known is that Math, Reading, and Mechanical are grouped to compute your OAR alone.

exNavyOffRec

Stay with those scores aviation doesn't have a minimum OAR and they really only care about your PFAR or FOFAR.

If you want SNA only put SNA don't put both.

Edit: expunged does not exist when it comes to the federal government, or civilian employers who's employees hold licenses regulated by the federal government.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

NAMI actually has never released what portions of the ASTB affect which scores. Anyone saying that they know either works at NAMI (highly doubt they would release that information) or is BSing you. I believe that is an overview provided by the VT ROTC unit, wouldn't call it reliable.

The only thing that is known is that Math, Reading, and Mechanical are grouped to compute your OAR alone.
On the previous version of the ASTB recruiters were given that info, when the version changed no one was told that the breakdowns had changed, however given what NAMI says on their website it is reasonable to believe it isn't the same as it was before.

Don't worry about it. You're new and he's just a troll that posts the same thing over and over.

Furthermore, from my experience as a prior ASTB Program Manager at a ROTC Unit (autoselection is not a thing to my knowledge for Midshipmen) I would recommend retaking so that you can raise both your OAR (that score shows the board how well you'll do in academics at OCS) and AQR (how you will to at API/NIFE; whatever it's called today) scores to have more of competitive edge among your peers at the board.

Very rarely did I see individuals who actually took the time to study and want to improve their scores regress on their second or third attempt.

For studying I would focus on the areas you felt weak at while "maintaining" on the other portions of the exam that you did well on to prevent knowledge regression.

If you have any additional questions you can PM me.
Awesome thank you so much! I will reach out tomorrow.