• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Kitty Hawk Museum Status

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
Just received this from Rick Burgess over at the Navy League's pub Sea Power. Because they need to keep KH in mothballs until USS Gerald R. Ford is commissioned, the effort to get Kitty Hawk for a museum is on hold for two years:

Wilmington Group Suspends
Efforts to Obtain Carrier
USS Kitty Hawk as Museum Ship

The Wilmington Kitty Hawk Concept Team, an ad hoc group working behind the scenes to bring the aircraft carrier USS Kitty Hawk (CV-63) to the area as a museum ship, has suspended its efforts for at least two years.

Concept Team secretary Wilbur D. Jones, Jr., a retired Navy captain, announced the decision today on behalf of the group, which began its quest in early 2006.

The reason: the Inactive Ships Branch of the Naval Seas Systems Command in Washington, D. C., informed the team the Chief of Naval Operations decided to hold the ship in reserve as a retention asset until its replacement - in numbers of carriers - the USS Gerald R. Ford (CVN-78), is commissioned in 2015.

The Kitty Hawk, which left its permanent station in Japan in May, is in Bremerton, Wash., undergoing its final decommissioning process prior to being placed there in the reserve fleet. In service since 1961, it is the Navy’s last oil-fired carrier.

“Our effort generated much statewide political, civic, and public interest and support, and media attention, which our team has appreciated,” Jones said. "We felt our beginning effort had a tacit go-ahead from the Navy. We particularly thank Congressman Mike McIntyre, the Wilmington City Council, and New Hanover Commissioners.

“Relocating a carrier anywhere is an enormous planning and financial undertaking. A huge planning and preparation lead time is required within a detailed, cumbersome ship donation application process. Such a project can be accomplished, but it is not for the faint of heart.

“We had identified a potential site on the Cape Fear River, had spoken with a consultant, and were prepared to apply for a foundation when we learned that continuing this pursuit until 2011 at the earliest would not be time or money well spent. In 2011 we will reevaluate the prospect and go from there, contingent of course upon the Navy’s plans,” Jones added.

Other concept team members are Frederick Willetts III, chairman and CEO of Cooperative Bank; retired Navy captain Howard Loving; county commissioner and retired Coast Guard captain Bill Caster; former Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense Dick McGraw; and retired Corps of Engineers environmental engineer Dr. Wayne Wright.

For further information, contact Jones at 910-793-6393 or JonesWD@aol.com.
**********​

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Huh. Wonder why they couldn't do the "mothballed museum" thing for the Shitty Kitty like they did with Wisconsin in Norfolk?

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I thought the Indians were buying the Shitty Kitty. Or am I a couple of newsfeeds behind on this one?

Navy_Brat_AT

Well folks, I am on the KH right now working on the decomm process. GOOD NEWS!! All of the spaces have been closed down and emptied. It has been a long road and long work days but its done. I would send pictures but PSNS has strict policies. In summary, she really is lying down to rest.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I thought the Indians were buying the Shitty Kitty. Or am I a couple of newsfeeds behind on this one?

It was Indian Government propaganda in order to get the price of the Russian Carrier they were going after to go down, in the though the Russians would feel they had competition for a sale. In reality, it was totally untrue.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I think the Punjabis would like to....but they are already 2 billion over budget with that deathtrap, Admiral Gorshkov. Where in the hell is that Indian T-45 stud with the Fulcrum avatar??

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
If the Indio's try to buy the 'HAWK ... I will personally drive her to the nearest sunken reef site and present her as a "donation" .... THE 'HAWK IS MY SHIP !!!

At least ... one of 'em.

In any case, whoever get's her ... I just hope they preserve O2-47-4L as a shrine .... a temple, if you will .... to those LSO's fortunate enough
to reside in Sleepy Hollow -- past, present, & future --- .... for entirely personal reasons, of course. :D

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
I truly hope to be proven wrong, but none of the recent de-com CV's Kennedy or Kitty Hawk will make it to museum status.
I wish it were possible, but the $ for clean-up, repo, and maintenance seem awfully steep.

Care to take over, Capt Hoffman?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Kitty Hawk is probably much too big for the Indians, the Russian one being modified for them is considerably smaller.