• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

knee brace at OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

OCSCAND

I occasionally get minor knee pain when I run for over four miles and a knee brace alleviates the pain completely. I have heard of candidates getting knee braces from the corpsman and what not, but is it considered contraband if you bring one with you. I can run without for the most part, it is just a great deal more comfortable with it. Thanks

motiv8r

they may give you a hard time if you wear a brace of any kind during PT. In their eyes that means you have a problem of some sort. The corpsman may make you see the docs which can be a hassle. You could probably get away with it during boots and utes PT though. I don't think they'd necessarily treat it as contraband. By the way, I am talking about a little compression sleeeve brace here. If you show up with one of the gigantic ones that they give you after you tear your ACL that's just inviting attention from your instructors as well as the med staff.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
You would be far better off by getting a proper examination....you owe it to yourself and your career to find out now why your knee hurts. Could be something simple like a minor tear of the meniscus or it could not be. It may also mean you need new shoes. Or maybe the issue is not your knee at all, but some other underlying cause which makes your knee hurt. As an example I was asked in February to take a look at the knee of a fellow officer in Point Loma.

It wasn't his knee which caused the pain in his knee...hopefully that makes sense. It was a partially atrophied thigh muscle (from prior surgery) which caused him to walk and run in a mechanically unstable position. Which would have led to some knee problems in the future had he not taken corrective action. And it may have led to back problems as well.

You need to ask yourself if it is worth it to keep self diagnosing and worrying about some contraband that the HMs may find.

I am not suggesting that you have some wierd undiagnosed or uncorrectable problem with your knee. That would certainly be a stretch.....

What I am suggesting is that you take the time to figure out what it is now before it gets to be a bigger issue.

Best to you. :icon_smil

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
feddoc said:
What I am suggesting is that you take the time to figure out what it is now before it gets to be a bigger issue.

Best to you. :icon_smil
Let me break this code down for you. GO SEE THE DOC!....as soon as you can. Your knees, and your overall health and well being, should not be put on hold.

OCSCAND

thanks for the replies guys. I have seen an orthopedist three times and he can't seem to diagnose it as anything except perhaps ITBS. He has advised me to continue running with the knee brace if that alleviates the pain, but the MRI and bone scan which I had were both negative. I have been to a physical therapist and they examined my running technique and said nothing was wrong with my stride. It is just something that happens occassionally when I run without a brace. I have been doing extra stretching lately and that has seemed to help a fair amount, but I just want to be able to give it 110% at OCS and not worry about knee pain which is not caused by a diagnosed injury. Thanks again for your help.

Motiv8r, it is a small compression brace, thats why I figured it might be acceptable. Thanks.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
OCS will not let you use ANY type of ortho devices while you are there. If you are broken, you will not be there. One of my students struggled through a twisted ankle (he twisted it 2 weeks prior to OCS) and he could not wear any type of ankle support. Read the advice posted above....Go see a doctor or bear through the pain. And don;t think you can hide it from your SGT INSTRUCTOR...those guys can read the candidates like a book....
ea6bflyr

VAmookie

i got a brace at Jr's cause i had some minor swelling, and the doc said i should bring it back to SR's, so its not like they have a huge problem with you wearing one. also, there was a kid who brought his own and would wear it at Jr.s even during PT in skivvie shorts, so i think you'll be ok.

Do they actually drop anybody from SR's for reasons other than DOR and NPQ. At JR's it seems like they kept everyone, if if they failed the majority of their tests

motiv8r

If your overall average drops below 80 at Seniors, they will board you starting week 3 or so. You will probably get some kind of probation at that point. I don't think they'll let you graduate with an average below 80 (or maybe a little less, it is at the Colonel's discretion.)

The mission of Jr.s is to "educate and motivate", thus the moto movies on Sunday nights and the visit to Washington. At Jr.s they will keep you on unless you DOR, NPQ or are an integrity violator. They want you to make mistakes, learn from them, and come back to Seniors ready to kick ass and take names. The mission of Seniors is "to train, screen, and evaluate" and there is much less of a tolerance for failure. If you have a 65 overall average at the end of week 4, you will be going home.

Status
Not open for further replies.