• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Korean Air War pics

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Great photos. In this vein, I cannot recommend more strongly that you read Such Men as These by David Sears. I read it this Summer, and it is a day-to-day history of U.S. Navy carrier a/c operations in Korea. This was a "forgotten" war that folks stateside cared little for unless they had a family member involved. It was very far away, cold and (like Vietnam) no one knew what victory would look like. It was a period of transition from prop to jet a/c, from deck-run to cat launches and before angled-deck CVs. There is the magnificent story of Ens Jesse Brown (1st Black naval aviator), of Tom Hudner earning an MOH trying to try to save Brown's life and many other naval aviators too numerous for me to remember off-hand. I then read Sears' At War with the Wind which recounts the US Navy's experiences with Kamikaze attacks during the invasion of Okinawa and later Japan itself. We lost something like 54 ships & 4,500 men to these suicide attacks before we finally brought Japan to its knees. Be humble, but be proud. You belong to a magnificent tradition.

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
E2C...great post, thanks!

Fog...thanks for the book titles...added to my list.