• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

LA Times Growler article

KilroyUSN

Prior EM1(SS) - LTJG - VP P-8 NFO COTAC
None
Saw this LA Times article about the EA-18 and thought I'd share.

The Navy has placed such a high value on the planes that this week it confirmed it placed an order for 22 more on its unfunded 2015 request submission.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-electronic-warfare-20140314,0,6836543.story#ixzz2vzu9IWoq

I bet the Whidbey whiners are going to be going nuts if they read this ;) I wonder how annoying they have to get, before big Navy decides to move the expeditionary squadrons to another base or something...

Renegade One

None
For those who flew the EA-6 and the Growler do they like it better?
Would it matter? The F/A-18G is the "way ahead" for the EA community. "Learn it. Know it. Live it." ~ Brad Hamilton

I'm not sure I ever met a former F-8 Crusader pilot who said "Wow…I really liked the Phantom better!", BUT…some truly liked the Tomcat better…because it, too, had a gun.

Renegade One

None
R1, there's no F in EA-18 Growler.

And to respond to your question; yes, it does matter, otherwise he wouldn't have asked the question.
Good. Thanks. My bad. Although I remain somewhat "iffy" on the like/don't like thing. The transition is what it is, yes?

Last edited:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good. Thanks. My bad. Although I remain somewhat "iffy" on the like/don't like thing. The transition is what it is, yes?
That sighing noise you hear is from maintainers relieved that they aren't going to have their balls kicked in to make the sortie completion rate happen for much longer. Seriously. I had a hell of a time flying the Prowler, but it's just old and tired at this point.

Renegade One

None
That sighing noise you hear is from maintainers relieved that they aren't going to have their balls kicked in to make the sortie completion rate happen for much longer. Seriously. I had a hell of a time flying the Prowler, but it's just old and tired at this point.
That's probably about how it went for every "sundown" T/M/S that served long and gloriously in its time. Not sure when the whole "Reunion/Association/Fan" communities started…they seem to be mostly post-VN era…but I get it. I think it's Ernest Hemingway who is credited with writing something about "A man has only one virginity to lose in fighters [fill in your favorite T/M/S…], and if it's a lovely airplane he loses it to…there his heart will ever be." I totally get it.

Every aircraft eventually gets replaced by something… Never throw away the patches and never stop loving the old iron you grew up flying.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is there any difference performance wise between the F and E?
Slick, no. Combat load, yes. The more stuff you hang on the wings, the more drag you endure, thus affecting overall performance.

Think of it like your car. It probably does well with only one passenger. Once you load 4 people with 2 suitcases each, it's not as responsive as it once was.....