• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

landing grades at the boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
Reading an issue of "The Hook" and came upon this quote w/ respect to landing grades at the boat:

"...in the air wing with a 3.3 GPA and a 93 percent boarding rate."

4 pts for an OK-3? I assume the boarding rate indicates the number of bolters/waveoffs.
Could someone who has been there & done that break down the grading system? thanks.

V/R

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
airgreg said:
Reading an issue of "The Hook" and came upon this quote w/ respect to landing grades at the boat:

"...in the air wing with a 3.3 GPA and a 93 percent boarding rate."

4 pts for an OK-3? I assume the boarding rate indicates the number of bolters/waveoffs.
Could someone who has been there & done that break down the grading system? thanks.

V/R

Wave-off = 1.0
Bolter = 2.5
No grade = 2.0
Fair = 3.0
OK = 4.0
_OK_ = 5.0

You can have a combination as well, such as a no grade bolter (1.0). There is a wave-off pattern as well (2.0 I believe) and a very bad pass, meaning a cut pass which is 0.0.

Your boarding rate is simply the percentage of traps to bolters.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
2.0 for the no grade bolter. Trust me, I know. And how exactly do you do a cut pass in the Cod?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
kmac said:
2.0 for the no grade bolter. Trust me, I know. And how exactly do you do a cut pass in the Cod?

You're right, typo on my part. Remember kmac, I'm an O-4........thus never wrong :eek: I have never had a cut pass (knock on wood) but it has happened, twice I've heard of it in the RAG. Tough since our planes (E-2C's as well) have that instant thrust to get us out of a bad situation.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you go idle in the wires you're apparently supposed to get a cut pass. Most of my passes though end up being (flight) idle in the wires since we get a lot of lift crossing the deck (big wings). That's one situation why Bunk says it's hard to get a cut pass since we can add power even on the deck and get flying again.

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
thanks for the answers guys. Anyone want to post their landing grades for the rest of the world to see? :icon_tong

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Cut pass....

AKA...a Gash!

But that's old school....

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Patmack18 said:
Cut passes... idle in the wires, taxi one wire, boards in the wires... what else?

Not waving off when directed and trapping.

Status
Not open for further replies.