• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Languages

pdx

HSM Pilot
how much does the board value foriegn languages when reviewing your packet?

Every Intel guy in my OCS class spoke a second language. I don't know if that has anything to do with your question or not, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Every Intel guy in my OCS class spoke a second language. I don't know if that has anything to do with your question or not, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Intel guys (or Info warfare guys for that matter) aren't linguists (there's an enlisted rate for that) and I can't see proficiency in a second language as being a factor that is seriously considered for officer accession selection boards. It certainly wont hurt and can open some doors for you down the road for certain PEP and FSO jobs.

Brett

pdx

HSM Pilot
Intel guys (or Info warfare guys for that matter) aren't linguists (there's an enlisted rate for that) and I can't see proficiency in a second language as being a factor that is seriously considered for officer accession selection boards. It certainly wont hurt and can open some doors for you down the road for certain PEP and FSO jobs.

Brett

For the most part, my Intel classmates had no interest in being translators or anything like that, but they said languages are a plus because it shows a learning process, exposure to other cultures, etc. As the theory goes, it benefits the Intel community to have people with language experience.

The Navy must value it to some extent, because there is extra incentive pay if you can pass the DoD language proficiency exams. Aviators aren't generally eligible for it, but Intel officers are.

I lived in Spain for a while in college and am pretty much fluent in Spanish, so I figured I would try to get an extra paycheck. Alas, it didn't work.

navychick

On side note, has anyone found it possible to take language classes while at flight school? I realize that its probably a long shot...but it has always been an interest of mine to take Japanese...any thoughts?

NavyLonghorn

On side note, has anyone found it possible to take language classes while at flight school? I realize that its probably a long shot...but it has always been an interest of mine to take Japanese...any thoughts?

/During/ flight school?

I think you'll find you wont be in the mood.

ljm9304

so it is my understanding that aviators dont recieve any extra pay but it wouldnt look bad for selection

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I sincerely doubt speaking another language would significantly help your chances at selection for an aviation billet.

AppleCello, the only professional opportunity to attend language training for a Junior Officer, in aviation, would be if you went to a Personnel Exchange Program billet (what I'm doing now). If the host country speaks another language, and you don't speak it, you will be sent to the Defense Language Institute.

ljm9304, I DO receive extra pay, but only because I'm required to speak another language in order to fly with my squadron.

Do a search for DLI, Defense Language Institute, and Language Pay. Go PSU!

Swmtb

Sneakin'
I took the Foreign Language Proficiency Test last December, did well, and then didn't think much more of it, since I'm SNFO. Fast forward to my latest LES, and it says I'm getting $550 in FLPP! I'm assuming it's some sort of backpay from December. I am also assuming they will somehow figure out a way to take it back from me...

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What language? I'm not sure, but I think the latest change said that if you speak a language on the "critical" list, and pass the DLPT to a certain level, you will receive the pay no matter what your billet. (I didn't mention it earlier because I'm not sure and most folks aren't that proficient in the critical languages)

Swmtb

Sneakin'
Swedish. Not sure if it's on the list or not, but I imagine it is (for some reason...). Do you have a link to this list? I googled for it, but could only find doc's referring to it, but not the actual list.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Uh, I dunno. I would talk to PSD ASAP to make sure you're legit. The "critical" languages I know of are stuff like Arabic and Farsi.