• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Last time an E-2C takes off and lands on a road

alert5

Some of you here might have flown the Hawkeye off a carrier deck many times but none have flown it on a road. Over the weekend, a Grumman E-2C (BuNo 162795) from the Republic of Singapore Air Force did that for the last time.

Since 1986, the RSAF has been carrying out Exercise Torrent on a stretch of road off Tengah Air Base every five to six years. This year the 111 squadron will join the exercise with the Hawkeye one last time before the aircraft is replaced with the IAI G550 CAEW.

Without further ado. Video of the historic moment.

High quality video

Standard quality video

alert5

Not like they hadta worry about FOD... you spit on a road there and they beat your ass.

That dumb ass in the video actually ran across the runway with his photo gear 30 minutes before the start of the exercise. After the road was cleared of FOD.

RyanF

unimportant
Sweet vids. When I lived there, they used to do the same exercises with A-4s!

Not like they hadta worry about FOD... you spit on a road there and they beat your ass.

Nah, you can spit on the road all you want. Now if you spray paint a judge's brand new jag, then you can expect an ass beating....4 times ;)

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
The two most difficult folks I've ever worked with were the Saudi's and the Sings. Spent abou 4 months in Singapore working out of Paya Lebar and what a HUGE PAIN IN THE ASS!!!!!!!!!! The Regent Hotel more than made up for it though :D

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
[threadjack]

Bunk, is thtat three things the copilot should NEVER say?

[/threadjack]

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
huh, maybe single seats are what I should go for ;)

Whatever floats your boat but please, stop by my office when you're at the HT's :D I'm right down the road.

Clearly, you don't get it. :D Same statement applies for a wingman, but Bunky doesn't know what that is. ;)

Brett

Do double anchors have wingman? Thought that was a single anchor thing :confused::)

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Some of you here might have flown the Hawkeye off a carrier deck many times but none have flown it on a road. Over the weekend, a Grumman E-2C (BuNo 162795) from the Republic of Singapore Air Force did that for the last time.

Since 1986, the RSAF has been carrying out Exercise Torrent on a stretch of road off Tengah Air Base every five to six years. This year the 111 squadron will join the exercise with the Hawkeye one last time before the aircraft is replaced with the IAI G550 CAEW.

What is the purpose of this exercise?

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What is the purpose of this exercise?

To prove they can... Operating from disbursed and uncharted "airfields" is essentially a force multiplier. Same concept is operational in Europe. Much of the highways there have been designed with stretches that can double as an impromptu runway. You have to do it once in a while to keep it a proven concept.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Yea, and Orchard Towers I'm sure. ;)

Please, if you're going to bring it up, refer it to it by its true calling, the Four Floors of Whores :tongue2_1

That place and two of my enlisted folks was almost the bane of our dets existance at the Regent. They got in a fight, detained, I get the call from NMCI, I'm facing CAG by that afternoon and then standing tall in front of the Admiral the next day. Fun times :)