• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lateral Transfer between platforms?

cwh139

If you start out in a platform such as helos, could you transfer to jets later in your career or vice versa? thanks

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Yeah, but its hard. And if thats what you plan on doing, definitely don't go spouting those plans off at your first fleet squadron. Thats a sure way to get bad fitreps and not get recommendations from the head office.

Bevo16

pilot
Those things are constantly in flux. It used to be that transitions were pretty common from Helo to Jets, but with the F-14 and S-3 going away there are plenty of jet guys already making transitions to Hornet slots. Our top guy had a transition package get denied less than a year ago. He is now a SWTI.

If you are just now getting out of primary and are not happy with what you got, you will be able to put in a transition package after your first fleet tour. You can read tea leaves and have as good of a chance at telling what the chances will be 5 years from now as anyone on this board. There are higher odds that you will grow to love what you fly and not want to transition anyway. After 3+ years in a platform, you will not want to start over at square 1.

macattack

Tansforming platforms? I think they have a recruiting ad for that:

idwtransformerspromo.jpg

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Bevo said:
After 3+ years in a platform, you will not want to start over at square 1.

Yeah, some of the S-3 guys are turning down transitions (one of our NFOs got a super hornet slot) because the prospect of doing back-to-back JO sea tours with a stop at the new RAG doesn't seem too appealing.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm an S-3 guy who transitioned to C-2s. Yeah starting over at a RAG sucks, but you do get some credit for time served. Being back in the fleet for a super JO tour doesn't suck. Again, you get an opportunity to earn quals at a somewhat accelerated pace (but if you dork it up, you are back to square 1). Either way, I love where I am now, and I still have a chance for a career. Those who turned down transitions will be at best terminal O-4's with no chance at an operational DH tour, and no more flying.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
HooverPilot said:
I'm an S-3 guy who transitioned to C-2s. Yeah starting over at a RAG sucks, but you do get some credit for time served. Being back in the fleet for a super JO tour doesn't suck. Again, you get an opportunity to earn quals at a somewhat accelerated pace (but if you dork it up, you are back to square 1). Either way, I love where I am now, and I still have a chance for a career. Those who turned down transitions will be at best terminal O-4's with no chance at an operational DH tour, and no more flying.

Most of the guys I know that turned it down were planning on getting out anyway. Come to think of it, most of them were NFOs. I've heard more than a few of them say they'd transition if they were pilots. I guess going from the right seat of the S-3 to anything else would be a downgrade in their minds.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Thisguy said:
Most of the guys I know that turned it down were planning on getting out anyway. Come to think of it, most of them were NFOs. I've heard more than a few of them say they'd transition if they were pilots. I guess going from the right seat of the S-3 to anything else would be a downgrade in their minds.
I wanted to fly S-3s...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thisguy said:
I would venture that NFOs in other communities would consider it the opposite.

Brett

VS FO

pilot
None
Tactically speaking I could see how NFO's from other communties would see a transition as an upgrade. However, many NFO's chose S-3's based on the knowledge they would spend a significant portion of their flying time performing co-pilot duties with a dual set of flight controls. Before the acceptance of laser surgery and contacts for SNA's many NFO's who would have chosen pilot as their first choice (had they been physically qualified) chose the S-3 community as the best alternative. For them it was never about being in the most tactical platform. From that perspective I could see how individuals view a transition where they will spend most or all of their time in the back as a downgrade and in fact turn down transition. I have known numerous S-3 NFO's do exactly that. Others have taken transition to platforms they don't necessarily want to fly in, but do so for quality of life (per diem, duty stations, etc.)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
VS FO said:
Tactically speaking I could see how NFO's from other communties would see a transition as an upgrade. However, many NFO's chose S-3's based on the knowledge they would spend a significant portion of their flying time performing co-pilot duties with a dual set of flight controls. Before the acceptance of laser surgery and contacts for SNA's many NFO's who would have chosen pilot as their first choice (had they been physically qualified) chose the S-3 community as the best alternative. For them it was never about being in the most tactical platform. From that perspective I could see how individuals view a transition where they will spend most or all of their time in the back as a downgrade and in fact turn down transition. I have known numerous S-3 NFO's do exactly that. Others have taken transition to platforms they don't necessarily want to fly in, but do so for quality of life (per diem, duty stations, etc.)
As another right seat guy (sans controls), I have to ask how significant a role do the second set of controls play in your day to day mission? I can't imagine that it's a whole lot. I mean, how often is the COTAC actually at the controls other than when the pilot is using the head, or when you're just messing around? I have to say that a second set of controls would be completely distracting for me in the front seat of a Prowler - I'm just too busy as it is. It seems like a novelty more than anything else for the FO. If you accept that, then what's impeding people from getting into a more "active" NFO role in the mission?

Brett

cwh139

hey guys, thanks for the replies. im glad to know that it can be done. i don't want you guys to think i'm one of those "oh i have to fly jets" guys. i have already been in a helo squadron and loved it(enlisted). Lately it seems my squadron has given more helo's than anything. i wanted a fixed wing platform so its good to know that the option is there.
Thanks again

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
cwh139 said:
hey guys, thanks for the replies. im glad to know that it can be done. i don't want you guys to think i'm one of those "oh i have to fly jets" guys. i have already been in a helo squadron and loved it(enlisted). Lately it seems my squadron has given more helo's than anything. i wanted a fixed wing platform so its good to know that the option is there.
Thanks again

As the only guy (that I know of) on this board who has actually gone through the regular board (no tthe S-3 sundown board) and transition I thought I might chime in.

First off, there was/is a board that meets twice a year to look at NFO/Pilot community transitions. The reason I say was/is is becasue they stopped them for a few years becasue they had so many S-3 transitions. Now that they are on the downslope on those they have started the regular boards up again but I am not sure how often they are having them.

Like someone said before you have to perform well in your first squadron to even think about transitioning. Worry about getting qualified in your present airframe, you will probably love it and never want to leave (that happened to almost all of my friends who said they wanted to transition when they first selected). Keep it to yourself if you really want to do it, you don't want to be the guy who shows up to your HS or VP squadron loudly proclaiming that that squadron is only a rest stop on your way to a better plane. I stayed quiet and only started entertaining the idea until I was qualified. My squadron was unique in that most of the DH's were transitions and I was able to talk to two of them about the possibility before I started all the paperwork. They were supportive, as well as my CO and XO (who was a transition). That is key, your CO has to write a letter of recommendation, it was one of the 3 things required. I have talked to other guys who brought it up to their CO only to be told there was not a snowball's chance that he was going to sign off on it.

I did it as an NFO and I know that there are a lot more pilots who want to do it, that is a bit more competitive. Also, it is tough to start over again but I would do it again in a heartbeat. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I work with a guy started in Lamps Helos, went to P-3Cs and is now without a community most likely not going to make O-4.
Never spent enough time anywhere to get a good reputation or FITREP.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
It can be done successfully. Needs of the Navy and timing are always front and center.

But I have a friend who was set --- in the A-7 community --- senior LT, doing well, moving up to O-4, the A-7 community was alive and well in the late '70's. His wife --- a b!tch and not my friend :) --- hated Lemoore and kept harping until he sucked it up and requested/got a transition to the A-6 community.

He eventually got his own squadron and made O-6. We should all do as well .... :)

... and if you're wondering, his wife is still a b!tch. We can all hope to do better in that category.:sleep_125