• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lateral Transfer to Medical Corps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know of people going from the aviation community and moving into the Medical Corps? And how that process works?

And to preface any replies I am very excited to begin my training and career as an NFO but I think whenever I have a family (long time from now) I would think about doing something with less seperation time.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
Dude, medical will be a tough sell for an aviation billet. Just remember, you will be in the aviation community for as long as eight years! That could mean you would start med school at 30! I don't know how long everything is with that, but you would probably be beginning to see bank at 40 or so. Plus, from what I hear, you wouldn't be spending much time at home while you were in school anyway. I am not telling you to do this, but transfering out of aviation especially once you have your wings and get tactical. The Navy will spend a TON of money to train you and they want their piece once their done. Your skipper will be hard pressed to let you go and have the navy spend millions more to make you a doc. Besides, docs have no fun. Trust me, strap into the back of any airplane and do some PA's and you will change your mind.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
When I was at the HT's a fellow instructor / O-3 applied for and received a medical corp transition. The transition involved first applying for and being accepted at Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences. Second thing is once you are accepted you are transferred to the Medical Corps (no star on your sleeves/shoulder boards anymore!!) and you are re-commissioned as an O-1/Ensign. Yes you keep wearing your wings!!!

... and then you do 4 years of medical school, residency, etc... I think it's a minimum of a 10 year commitment from the time you are accepted and then there is additional reserver obligations on top of that.

By the way - last I heard, my former squadronmate was a successful family practice doctor and enjoying his career as a physician. He mentioned that it wasn't at all uncommon for aviators to transtion to medical corp and go the USUHS route...

jmac12

I knew of a couple 0-3's that were transfering to medical corps following their shore tours. So basically, around the eight year mark as previously stated. I don't know about numbers or competitiveness. as previously mentioned, you do go to the uniformed service medical school, and you do go back to being an O-1, which can be kind of a crunch from living on LT salary if your dealing with family.

Well just to clarify I was thinking more of hospital administration (MBA route) but I was not aware of the drop to 0-1. That makes a huge difference. Has anyone ever heard of anyone doing hospital admin?

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
I've seen a couple former NFO's retread as flight docs, but I can't say I've seen anyone make the transition to Medical Service Corps (not the same as Medical Corps - MSC = administration). That'd be a tough sell to any squadron skipper for an endorsement, and you'd still need to be selected by the lat. transfer board as well. Besides, MSC = no flight pay. You'll learn to love the day you cross 6 years. Not aware of any retention bonus for MSC either (could be wrong, but honestly can't say I've looked into it either).

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I have run across two flight surgeons that were former aviators. One was an F14 bubba that was going through my T34 systems class back in the day, needless to say, we all listened to HIM!

Feddoc, you got any info on #s? What did Nolemite and S12 transition to?

Anything is possible, and I definitely won't say "focus on flight school, blah blah blah", because we all have goals and different plans, and without asking and figuring these things out, who knows where we will end up.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You can ask for a lateral to anything you want. Just get into the MILPERSMAN and find the right reference. As to asking your skipper, you won't be doing that until towards the end of your first fleet tour anyway. By time you get the green light on a lat trans you will be gone from that unit. You would not, therefore, be a direct loss to your fleet squadron skipper. He may not care about the personal loss to him and do what is right for you. If you don't get the lat trans on the first look then take shore duty where they don't have strong community bonds. For instance, I had a bud that was a VS NFO and wanted a lateral . He became an admiral's aide for Commander Mine Warefare. Heck, that shoe admiral didn't mind if his aide left the VS comunity. Bam, done deal after two rejections from the fleet.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
As a South Park IP, we had a flight physiologist who started as a pilot, then did the physio trng, did that for awhile, then hooked a job at P-cola that let him come and instruct helos on a semi-frequent basis. Not common, but such things can be done. My wife's OB was an A-6 BN who lat moved to medicine, then finished his 20 before going private practice.

Penguin

Respect the WEZ
pilot
Check MILPERSMAN 1212-010 for all the information you never knew you needed regarding redesignation. You can link to it from the aministrative boards page on the new BUPERS web site. The active duty Lat X-fer/Redes. page will give you other info such as board dates and addresses.
With regard to the specific redes you refer to, I agree with the others that convincing a community to give you up after investing big money may be tough. That being said, it CAN happen. You have to make them realize that you would still be contributing to the overall mission. Also, with the manning situation, they might be glad to get rid of one body voluntarily. As a former MSC who went Pilot (Oh yes, you can!) make sure you are well informed about what you ask for before you raise your hand. Once you tell your community you want out, EVERYONE will find out. Make sure you really want to be a twig! PM me if you have any specific Q's. I've got a cross country coming up, so be patient.

Status
Not open for further replies.