• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lats,trans-ves-fo's, sundown ?'s

pittflyer

This is why I can't get into Grad School
pilot
Wondering if any of you Lat transfer guys (S-3, F-14, etc) or NFO-Pilot guys that are on their "2nd" Sea tour, (or their "Super J.O." tour,) know anything about what is happening to them as far as their timing goes? If there is anyone out there that has finished with that tour I'm curious to know what you all are doing now? What has Mother Navy sold you guys?

I'm being told that I'll roll early out of this 2nd sea tour in order to go dissociated or remote at about the 18month point instead of the 3yr tour that was originally offered to me to catch up to my timing? This isn't was sold to me a few years ago and not sure what my options are outside of this? Has this happened to anyone? I know everyone is different based on their community, but I'm looking for what the Navy is 'generally' telling you folks?

Thanks for any insight you may give.

pittflyer

pilot
Any of you hard hittin' , slaty dogs with much-o experience out there please weigh in on this if you have a story or some info to pass. I don't mind hearing the rumor mill info either.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
pittflyer said:
Wondering if any of you Lat transfer guys (S-3, F-14, etc) or NFO-Pilot guys that are on their "2nd" Sea tour, (or their "Super J.O." tour,) know anything about what is happening to them as far as their timing goes? If there is anyone out there that has finished with that tour I'm curious to know what you all are doing now? What has Mother Navy sold you guys?

I'm being told that I'll roll early out of this 2nd sea tour in order to go dissociated or remote at about the 18month point instead of the 3yr tour that was originally offered to me to catch up to my timing? This isn't was sold to me a few years ago and not sure what my options are outside of this? Has this happened to anyone? I know everyone is different based on their community, but I'm looking for what the Navy is 'generally' telling you folks?

Thanks for any insight you may give.
While I'm not in your boat, we had a couple transition guys in my squadron who were doing their super JO tours. As I'm sure you know, the timing factor pretty much hinges on when you're due to put on O-4 so that your DH tour comes at the appropriate time. In our community they wanted those guys to be selected within about 12 months of beginning their 2 year super JO tour in order so that they would have ~6-9 months as a sacrificial O-4 before they took their DH spot somewhere else. I have heard of guys doing a 12-18 month "Pre-DH" tour if they were particularly junior, so it sounds like that might be what you're talking about. Again, in my community, these things were also shore duty spots (RAG, Wing, Weps School) and kind of like an extended stash and not remote sea duty as you've suggested. Anyhow, that's what I know - hope it helps.

Brett

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm an S-3 guy on the super JO tour in C-2's now. I have 3 year orders, but I expect to only be here ~2yrs. At the 2 yr point I'll be an O-4 sel or O-4. I'm told that I will go stash somewhere for a year to "mature" and then I'll return for a DH/OIC tour. The other option is that I just stay in the squadron for 7 years and do the super JO & DH thing. I will not have a disassociated tour because of timing. I'm a '98 guy. If you've got any specific questions, just as or PM me.

pittflyer

pilot
Thanks Brett and Hoover. I'm a 99 ygp (just starting that 2nd sea tour/ super J.O.) and was looking to do exactly what you said, take a 2-3yr tour, roll into a stash job (hopefully, still flying), and come back for the 0-4/DH stint. I wasn't looking for 18months then remote or disassociated, so that sorta shocked me when I heard it. Looks like I do have other options that I can pursue. I think b/c of the '99, the timing thing is working against me, but I'll have to keep a close watch on this. If you know of any of your other shipmates in the same boat, I'm still interested in hearing. Thanks.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
I was a early '91 guy who transistioned from Intruders to Prowlers. Did a super JO tour in Prowlers instead of a shore, then went to the RAG instead of disassociated sea. Pinned on O-4 April 2001, killed a year at the War College 2001-2002 (get the "B", get the degree) and then rolled to my DH.

Like Brett and Hoover said, it all depends on timing and when you pin O4 on. But if you have to kill a year, there are worse places than Newport.

pittflyer

pilot
I know there is already a thread on here about PG/War College, but I have this question in regards to Steve's last post...Lets say I have this friend, we'll call him 'me.' 'Me' didn't exactly study hard when he was young and dumb back in college and didn't finish with the best grades. 'Me' is a little older and wiser now, but not sure how his past will effect his application to such a place. Any thoughts? (This actually was one of the options I had lined out for myself before they sprung the reason why this thread was created?)

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I think, but I am not sure about this answer. When you got your commission or sometime afterwards, your college transcript was sent to NPG. They worked their voodoo and gave you a Academic Profile Code (APC). This code says tells them what grades you got, how much calc you took, etc. You can look this code up on Bupers Online (BOL). That code determines what subjects you can take at NPC and/or if you need to take some remedial math. I don't think (don't quote me though) it has any bearing on selection for Newport. The APC does apply in other Navy funded education opportunities, certain specialty ones.