• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Leadership Class

snizo

Supply Officer
Got a question for you guys who just finished either of the leadership classes in ROTC. I've been racking my brain and google's to try and find the two types of authority (what ROTC actually calls 'em), but I just can't remember that far back. I know one is 'positional', but what do they teach you about the other kind? The one where people follow you because they want to - not because they have to.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't know, I always just bribed my guys with beer, pizza, and wings. Never had any problems with them following.

petescheu

I believe you are talking about authority of experience, ie you've been there, done that, and you know exactly what's going on, so people are gonna listen to you. Just like a new Ens better listen to his chief, or they'll get pee pee schwacked...

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
shoo24 said:
I believe you are talking about authority of experience, ie you've been there, done that, and you know exactly what's going on, so people are gonna listen to you. Just like a new Ens better listen to his chief, or they'll get pee pee schwacked...
Unless of course your first chief is an idiot. Then, you just take matters into your own hands. See note above on beer, pizza, and wings.

BTW, I think it's influential authority or something like that. I think in technical lingo it might be called charismatic authority or something to that affect. In the end, the only thing that matters is that guns go boom instead of click click click.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
snizo said:
Got a question for you guys who just finished either of the leadership classes in ROTC. I've been racking my brain and google's to try and find the two types of authority (what ROTC actually calls 'em), but I just can't remember that far back. I know one is 'positional', but what do they teach you about the other kind? The one where people follow you because they want to - not because they have to.

1. Positional
-Legitimate
-Reward
-Coercive

2. Personal power
-Expert
-Referent

Dont ask me how i remember this crap. Hope this helps :)