• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Leadership

Lonestar155

is good to go
Right now Im writing out my PLC rough draft application. I came across the leadership portion of the application and kind of froze. I was never the captain of the football team or president of the school, yet I excelled in many other aspects of my life such as work and school. I hope that my experiences will help prove that I am a competitive candidate. Just curious to know whether the Marine's or Navy are only looking for leadership positions or things you have accomplished? Im wondering if many of you can share some of your leadership qualifications. Here are some of mine:
*worked 40hrs a week while maintaining a 3.0 and getting some flight hours.
Although I was never the captain of the football team or president of my college institution, I portrayed my leadership abilities at work, in the classroom, and at many of my community service assignments. While trying to salvage my grades, I worked 35 hours a week at a logistics carrier, exporting computer chips to Asia and Europe. The organization was a very fast paced and demanding environment. It was crucial that all parts were never lost and to be delivered on time. There were severe consequences that could cost the organizations thousands of dollars if products were not shipped or picked up on time. Under these stressful environments I wanted to prove to my boss that I was one of his best employees. After all he knew I wanted to become a Naval Aviator so he always gave me the extra work and pressure.
I eventually became in charge of all logistical operations including dispatching, making sure all trucks were on time, and ensuring that every product was delivered to the appropriate air freight company. Since the time I have been employed there, we have successfully delivered all computers parts and established more customers than ever before. At the organization I learned how to develop relationships with new business partners and also learned the importance of respecting all employees to ensure the best output from each individual.
*250 hours community service.(8th grade basketball coach, fire dept, worked at the local day care)
I was involved with over 150 hours of community service which ranged from coaching an 8th grade basketball team, working at a local day care, and working for the San Francisco Fire Dept. Coaching an 8th grade basketball team was one the most challenging yet rewarding tasks I have ever done. Not only was I a coach, but I was a role model. I noticed these kids would watch my every move from the minute I set foot on the court to the way I spoke to them after games and practices. I presented myself in a very professional manner because I remember looking up to my basketball coach when I was playing basketball as a child. For the next few months I was going to set an example for these kids that looked up to me. It was a very rewarding night distributing the trophies to every single player for their contribution.

*lettered in football, and baseball in HS (im now 21 btw)
I would argue that I am one of most motivated candidates. Mentally I have a fierce and competitive mindset that allows me to work way beyond my abilities. With this mentality and motivation I was able to excel on the field and in the workplace. During my football career in high school, I was one of the smallest players on the team (5'9 145 lbs), yet I was one of the most motivated . Although my stats on the field were not enough to distinguish myself from the rest of the roster I mentored many of the underclassmen during the agilities and kept them going strong during the endurance runs. My motivation allowed me to go heads-up with the linebackers on tackle drills, go all out on the tire pulls and run two miles a day with my pads on. I was there because I wanted to be on that team more than anything and it was the motivation that kept me going.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
worked 40hrs a week while maintaining a 3.0 and getting some flight hours.

40 hours a week doing what? What was your position? Was it a leadership role? "and getting some flight hours..." I wouldn't really see that as pertinent, you scheduled your free time as you sought to.

*250 hours community service.(8th grade basketball coach, fire dept, worked at the local day care)

This is what people want to hear about. What specifically did you do with the fire department and day care center and can you legitimately say it was an experience in leadership? Or did you get to work for someone who you considered to be a good leader? What traits did you identify as important, or see in action for the first time?

*former supervisor at costco

Same same. What did you learn about your own abilities and potential? How many people were you responsible for?

*lettered in football, and baseball in HS (im now 21 btw)

Even if you weren't a team captain, what did you do as a senior to mentor the underclassmen on the team?

*Vice president of my current job. (We export computer parts to Asia and Europe)

They aren't going to care as much about what you buy or sell as much as they want to know how you get the job done and why you're good at it.

Sell yourself.

...and make sure to have someone with a good grasp of composition and grammar proofread it before submission...

Pags

N/A
pilot
...and make sure to have someone with a good grasp of composition and grammar proofread it before submission...

Damn straight. Nothing's gonna make you look dumber than using a "word" like "irregardless" or screwing up to/too/two.

navy09

None
Lonestar,

I think if there's one thing I've learned from this site and my own experience, it's that there's no "average" or "typical" applicant that gets picked up by the Navy.

Titles such as "Vice President" and "Supervisor" ARE leadership positions. Be sure to highlight how you've exhibited leadership traits in those jobs. I'd even say that the Navy cares more about your leadership than the actual job (exporting computer parts, costco).

I'm not sure how important high school activities are. I'd really focus on highlighting what you've done in the last few years in college. Keep in mind that just working a full time job and pulling a decent GPA is very impressive, and will set you apart.

I agree that the flight hours are irrelevant...think school, work, leadership (if you were president of a flying club, that would be a different story).

Good Luck!

Lonestar155

is good to go
I should have elaborated on my post and I really appreciate the feedback I got from you guys. I just wasn't sure if I had the leadership qualifications the military was looking for. Well anyways I just quickly wrote out some interesting ideas while reflecting upon work and community service.