• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Leaving DEP

Nhowell

Hello everyone. I would just like to thank all of you guys for running a great site and taking time out of your day to respond to questions like mine. I just have a few questions.

I have been in DEP since Nov of 07 and my ship date is is August. Honestly, for the past two months I have been regretting my decision to enlist. From what I have read it is a bad choice to enlist just to enlist, when in reality you want to become an officer. I want to become an officer. I have spoken with my recruiter about leaving DEP and what would happen to me if I did. He says that if I leave DEP, I will be "blacklisted" for when I apply to OCS upon graduating college, and that I will never be able to become an officer in the Navy. He says that he will have to "discharge" me, and that it will leave a permanent mark on me when I apply for OCS.

1) If I leave DEP, will it hurt my chances for OCS?
2) When I apply for OCS will they know I was in DEP?

I know that I have made a commitment to myself, my country, and the Navy to ship out in August, but I don't think it is the best choice for me. Please understand this and don't totally drag me through the mud. Any and all input is welcomed and appreciated.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Hello everyone. I would just like to thank all of you guys for running a great site and taking time out of your day to respond to questions like mine. I just have a few questions.

I have been in DEP since Nov of 07 and my ship date is is August. Honestly, for the past two months I have been regretting my decision to enlist. From what I have read it is a bad choice to enlist just to enlist, when in reality you want to become an officer. I want to become an officer. I have spoken with my recruiter about leaving DEP and what would happen to me if I did. He says that if I leave DEP, I will be "blacklisted" for when I apply to OCS upon graduating college, and that I will never be able to become an officer in the Navy. He says that he will have to "discharge" me, and that it will leave a permanent mark on me when I apply for OCS.

I know that I have made a commitment to myself, my country, and the Navy to ship out in August, but I don't think it is the best choice for me. Please understand this and don't totally drag me through the mud. Any and all input is welcomed and appreciated.

Contact your nearest officer recruiter and ask them. Your enlisted recruiter might just be saying that so he doesn't lose a slot.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
You will not be blacklisted form OCS for leaving DEP. I was in the USMC DEP program for a while. I opted out to go to the Academy. I actually got out of the DEP program prior to getting my appointment to the Prep School... my leaving DEP had no bearing whatsoever on my application to USNA. I's gather that OCS is the same.

When you're in DEP, you have no obligation to the military until you actually go down to MEPS on your ship date.

utak

As of now, you are still not committed to the Navy yet, it becomes a problem once you show up to Great Lakes. You are still a civilian and not part of the military.

From your bio you're 17, so live life for a while. Go to college, try going to ROTC or apply to OCS.

Don't enlist just for the sole purpose of becoming an officer. Out of all of my enlisted peers, I've only known two others that actually got commissioned.

Slammedtgs

I was in the same boat as you. I went to meps, took the asvab and was scheduled to take the physical but then realized that I didn't really want to do enlisted service. I wanted to finish college, so I backed out. I was going reserve, decided just to finish school then try to go the officer route. Or see what the private sector has to offer. Hopefully things pan out for you.

Nhowell

Thanks for all the input. It seems like he is just using some scare tactics. I will talk to him on Tuesday and have him "discharge" me from DEP. Although becoming an officer is 4 years down the road for me, I am motivated to get it done. Thanks again for all the responses!

flopper

You could always do the reserves and do college to get into OCS later. You will have that all important pay entry basic date.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You could always do the reserves and do college to get into OCS later. You will have that all important pay entry basic date.

Try Pay Entry Base Date, and it is important

Rasczak

Marine

I talked to my OSO about this. If you want to leave the DEP program, you will be discharged for apathy. As far as hurting your application to OCS, it should not hurt you.(words from my OSA) It would only hurt you if you wanted to try and enlist instead.

tomcatfan

Final Select OCS 25 MARCH SNA
i was in the same boat two years ago. I was actually working with officer recruiters after i enlisted. My enlistment recruiter told me that my chances of getting an officer slot would be greater if I enlisted, and as a dumb 18 year old I believed him. I talked to the officer recruiters after I almost royally got screwed(recruiter called me saying I was shipping in a week when I told him to void my contract once). On the phone with him and the chief in that office for three days and on the third day the chief said, no joke "well to me it sounds like you don't want to go". Officer recruiters told me it would not have an affect on an ocs package later down the road. I am now working on a package for OCS and I graduate from college this coming december.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
He says that if I leave DEP, I will be "blacklisted" for when I apply to OCS upon graduating college, and that I will never be able to become an officer in the Navy. He says that he will have to "discharge" me, and that it will leave a permanent mark on me when I apply for OCS.
He is lying to you.:icon_rage We get someone with this story about twice a week on AW. Search the threads. Don't enlist for enlisting's sake like don't get married just for the sake of getting married. If $ is a factor, there are cheap ways to get your education if you are resourceful. If you are not resourceful or have rich parents, take out student loans. One of the biggest educational problems in this country is people who say they cannot afford to go to college. These people are ignorant and destined to toil for the rest of their lives and then complain that they should be getting some sort of handout. Rant over. Officer life is much easier than enlisted life, it pays better, and it is easier to become an officer outright than become an officer through enlisting.