• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Left-handed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ski3

Another good example is the Airbus 321/320/319/318 - sidestick controls for both pilots. The F/O has it on the right (like in an F-16), while the captain has it on the left.

...I spoke to a bunch of United A320/319 pilot while working for United at O'Hare, and they said it took them 5 minutes to transition from right to left. :)

woodman

Since I always wanted to be a fighter pilot while growing up I was pretty put out when I began taking civilian flying lessons a few years back and realized that I controlled the plane with my left hand and controlled the throttle with my right. It took me 2 minutes to get used to it. I have since flown about 10 hours in an F-16 simulator out at Luke Air Force base and have no problem with doing everything vice-versa. Each individual airplanes setup feels right at that specific moment.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
As old as this topic is, I'm suprised no P-3 Bubbas have spoken up.

The P-3 syllabus starts with pilots in the left seat, from advanced in the T-44 or C-12, through the FRS, and on into your first fleet tour. In fact, right seat landings don't really start until about halfway through the Patrol Plane Pilot (aka 2P) syllabus in your fleet squadron. By the end of that syllabus you are expected to be able to do everything from either seat (nothing like that 2 engine out landing with 1 and 2 at idle).

The best analogy I've heard is throwing a football through a suspended car tire with your off-hand. The general idea being that the Patrol Plane Commander has to be ready to take action no matter which seat he's in. Plus, if you only have two pilots and the PPC is in the right seat with an emergency, no seat-swap can occur (P-3's require a Natops rated co-pilot minimum at the controls while airborne at all times).

To get back to the original post, it takes a little getting used to, and feels a bit odd, but it isn't impossible or anything.

BeanFighter

pilot
One advantage for the left handed fighter punks is they can keep flying the stick and take notes of the fight (or freq changes) at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.