• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Length of a career, retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

rabbit845

I *do* realize this is an odd question--mostly since I've yet to apply [:D]. But I want to know:

I'm assuming that the number of both enlisted and officers that reach their 20 years is somewhat low--I know that many leave of their own, once their term is up.

I'm curious about those that WANT to stay, but are passed over and are booted, and how often this happens. Are most people (ie, that perform well, etc.) that want to stay 20 able to do it, or is more political than good performance?

I'm curious about both enlisted and officer info on this, if anyone has it.

kaiangel

Well, as an enlisted guy it is almost impossible to get booted for not getting promoted. Once you make E-5 you can stay for the full 20. I made E-5 in under 2 years, so I could have stayed in without getting promoted for 18 years. As for officers, I have seen it happen, but not all that often. Usually it is only in the case where an officer gets in some trouble which makes him/her non promotable or not desirable for promotion. Also, the Navy has instituted a three year extension which allows 2x FOS (twice failure of select) officers to hit their 20 and retire. Before, an 0-4 who twice FOS could get booted around 18 years in. But I guess they have fixed that now. I hope that answers your question.

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
Good info by kaiangel.
Originally posted by rabbit845...or is more political than good performance?
It's both. The size of your YEAR GROUP, compared to the required END STRENGTH, determines how difficult it is to select for O-4 and above.

YEAR GROUP = all officers commisioned in a given fiscal year.
END STRENGTH = how many DHs needed 12 years later, how many COs needed 6 years after that, etc.

The two are never on the same page, unfortunately. It's the "pendulum effect" of manpower management - when manpower is too low, bring in way too many officers to overkill the problem - then when we're over-run with LTs and LCDRs, cut recruiting way down until manpower is too low. Repeat. Detailing works the same way. Crisis management at its worst.

LUCK = THE INTERSECTION OF PREPARATION AND OPPORTUNITY

grouch

Thats some good info. I want to stay in as long as they will have me. Are there certain tracts as a NFO that will lead to better promotions/opportunities? Like if you do a tour in fat crack sh*t hole somewhere, can you move up quicker?

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
My two cents - in no way representing the official position of the Department of the Anything. I don't sugarcoat anything.

Originally posted by grouch Are there certain tracts as a NFO that will lead to better promotions/opportunities?
As an NFO you will be able to play for command of a squadron. Folks from individual communities can tell you better how command opportunities for NFOs compare to pilots' - since some aircraft seat more NFOs than pilots (EA-6, etc.), and since squadrons typically alternate between a pilot CO and and an NFO CO, it might be tougher for NFOs. I just don't know, since we didn't have NFOs in my community.

Going to a pointy-nose platform (VF/VFA) will keep the most doors open for you for the longest time in the navy. That being said, I've never heard of a carrier CO, CAG, battle group commander, or CNO who was an NFO. Not saying it can't happen, I'm sure it has (with the exception of CNO - no NFOs). Those major command and beyond jobs tend to favor pilots. TACAIR pilots specifically. It's not the way it should be, but that's just how it is!

Originally posted by grouch Like if you do a tour in fat crack sh*t hole somewhere, can you move up quicker?
Your detailer may tell you so. Never trust your detailer. Your detailer only cares about your career as much as you care about his.

Originally posted by grouch I want to stay in as long as they will have me.
Don't paint yourself into a corner. Some guys love it, some hate it. My advice: get in there, get your wings, and you'll have seven years or so to decide if you like it. Everything will work out for the best! Good Luck!!

LUCK = THE INTERSECTION OF PREPARATION AND OPPORTUNITY

Status
Not open for further replies.