• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Length of process

RedSox0989

So since I was about 13, I knew I wanted to be a pilot. I got my ppl in rotorcraft my senior year in high school and enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps because I felt that being prior enlisted would make me a better officer. I had fully intended on working towards a USMC commission, and getting an air contract. But now that I'm in and around the aircraft (I'm an F/A-18C Airframe Mech), I realize how old the Marine Corps fleet of aircraft is, and some of the type of missions our pilots fly and I'm not sure if I should maybe EAS, and talk to a Navy OSO. I've asked around my chain of command, but all I get is "my devil dog ain't gonna be some squid". My questions are, how long start to finish is the process of talking to an OSO and getting a packet in? What can I do before I EAS to make that go faster, (Get the class I physical?).

Scruff

None
Contributor
I first talked to my current recruiter in June '09. I studied hard for the next two months and took the astb on August 3rd. I had PRK in Sept and finished up my package with LORs, Interviews, SF86, Background and employer forms on Oct 13th. It was "closed" by my recruiter on October 23rd and sent in two weeks later. I didn't make the November boards, but I am for sure in for the January boards.

I felt like I was doing something every single day trying to get everything tied up. Lot of travel and phone time. I hope this gives you a good idea of the time frame required.

Good Luck

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So since I was about 13, I knew I wanted to be a pilot. I got my ppl in rotorcraft my senior year in high school and enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps because I felt that being prior enlisted would make me a better officer. I had fully intended on working towards a USMC commission, and getting an air contract. But now that I'm in and around the aircraft (I'm an F/A-18C Airframe Mech), I realize how old the Marine Corps fleet of aircraft is, and some of the type of missions our pilots fly and I'm not sure if I should maybe EAS, and talk to a Navy OSO. I've asked around my chain of command, but all I get is "my devil dog ain't gonna be some squid". My questions are, how long start to finish is the process of talking to an OSO and getting a packet in? What can I do before I EAS to make that go faster, (Get the class I physical?).

1. Marines use OSO, Navy uses Officer Recruiter (OR). Are you asking about talking to a Navy OR?

2. Have you picked up any College courses along the way or is your degree complete? Your degree strategy is going to drive your timeline pretty much. If you have one, you're looking at OCS, but if not there are more options, but not necessarily ones that pick you up in either case to sync to your EAS.

RedSox0989

I would be talking to a Navy OR. I still have about a year left on my contract, and I'll be done with a "Professional Aeronautics" degree from Embry-Riddle. My main concern with this timeline is, should I take my GI Bill and go to college for a second degree or a masters degree just because the new GI Bill (is supposed to) pay E-5 BAH while enrolled and taking classes, or will it be short enough to get a part time job and just move back in with the parents for 3 months or so. Also, would getting a second degree just to be able to be in NROTC at college make getting an air contract easier, or does OCS hold the same weight in the board reviews?

And thank you all for these replies. As I said, its hard to get any kind of guidance from my command.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
My questions are, how long start to finish is the process of talking to an OSO and getting a packet in?
6 mo - 1 year
What can I do before I EAS to make that go faster, (Get the class I physical?).
Order your transcripts, get contact information on your references.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would be talking to a Navy OR. I still have about a year left on my contract, and I'll be done with a "Professional Aeronautics" degree from Embry-Riddle. My main concern with this timeline is, should I take my GI Bill and go to college for a second degree or a masters degree just because the new GI Bill (is supposed to) pay E-5 BAH while enrolled and taking classes, or will it be short enough to get a part time job and just move back in with the parents for 3 months or so. Also, would getting a second degree just to be able to be in NROTC at college make getting an air contract easier, or does OCS hold the same weight in the board reviews?

And thank you all for these replies. As I said, its hard to get any kind of guidance from my command.

IMHO, if you want to fly as a pilot in Marine Corps or Navy, stop thinking about a second degree even if you think you'll get E-5 BAH. Go directly to try for OCS slot immediately or BDCP if you can get into it.

As to timeline, you have no guarantee you'll get selected right away and even if you are first time before the board, you can see from reading other threads that NOBODY is getting into OCS that fast (NLT 3 mos). Quite a few people end up "high and dry" for a spell after graduation. Remember, you are getting older every day and there is an age cap to get commissioned and into flight school. You don't know what may lay ahead to slow you down so chasing another degree offers little return on investment and robs you of critical time you may well need.

RedSox0989

I just wasnt sure if being in college and being in NROTC would give me a leg up and help me get selected the first time... or first couple of times, or postpone the whole process altogether and mess up my chances in the end.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I just wasnt sure if being in college and being in NROTC would give me a leg up and help me get selected the first time... or first couple of times, or postpone the whole process altogether and mess up my chances in the end.

Not sure you can enter NROTC with a degree under your belt. Best ask about that. You haven't mentioned your GPA and "others" (evaluated performance on job, community or other leadership roles). That and your ASTB score will give you best idea of how competitive you are and whether you need more time to get well.

RedSox0989

Right now i have a 3.2 gpa and i have 4.6/4.6 pros and cons. No real community service to speak of or any major leadership roles. Most of my time is spent in the shop, gym and doing my classes. What kind of community leadership roles would they look for? Stuff like coaching a little leauge team? Teaching a music class at my church? I could make time to do anything that'll make me look better, I just need to know what the boards like to see.

RedSox0989

And also, do they care about any of the Marine Corps stuff? I have always shot expert at the rifle range, have a 2nd class swim qual, ran a perfect 300 CFT and have a 1st class PFT. No NJP's or bad paperwork at all. 20 something MCI's done and various other Marine Corps qualification classes taken. But will the board take any of that into account? Or just my PFT?

Bill James

Another thing you have to factor in is that apparently flight contracts are scarce. I don't know if it's the economy or what, but everyone and their brother is trying to get one. As a result, you might have to wait around for a spot to open up. From what I've heard, there are ZERO openings until next fall, and I would assume that most of these are already filled up.

I'm very new to this forum, and this is information I have picked up from reading random threads. Anyone want to chime in and confirm that this is all correct?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Another thing you have to factor in is that apparently flight contracts are scarce. I don't know if it's the economy or what, but everyone and their brother is trying to get one. As a result, you might have to wait around for a spot to open up. From what I've heard, there are ZERO openings until next fall, and I would assume that most of these are already filled up.

I'm very new to this forum, and this is information I have picked up from reading random threads. Anyone want to chime in and confirm that this is all correct?

There is a very active thread on that very topic for the Marine Corps.