• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Length of Service

bikegirl

Two legs, two wheels, one big smile.
I'm considering joining the Navy (I've been juggling the idea for quite some time, and I finish my undergrad next year so I need to get this stuff figured out ASAP). I really want to be a Naval Aviator, because flying is great and the lifestyle of a pilot seems perfect for my personality.

Before I sign up, though, one thing I want to know is how long a person actually has to stay in the Navy. Is it a 5-year minimum, 10 years, or what? If I like the Navy, I will stay in of course. But I have lots of other options in the civvy world that I'd like to pursue if the Navy doesn't work for me.

Can anybody help me out? Thanks!

White_Male

I am not positive so I will let someone confirm or deny this. My understanding is that from the time you sign to the time your commitment is over will be about 10 years.

I think your commitment is 8 years upon winging if you go jets and 6 years upon winging if you go anything else.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am not positive so I will let someone confirm or deny this. My understanding is that from the time you sign to the time your commitment is over will be about 10 years.

I think your commitment is 8 years upon winging if you go jets and 6 years upon winging if you go anything else.

Bad gouge. It basically depends on what community you go into. Pilots have an 8 year commitment from winging (essentially a total of 10 years), irrespective of whether they fly helos or jets. NFOs have a 6 year commitment from winging (7-8 year total time), and the Surface and sub guys have other requirements which I'll let others comment on, but they tend to be shorter than the aviation folks.

Brett