• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Length of the Application Process

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawgfighter

Hey guys,
Just surfin' around getting the 411 on the in's and out's of applying for OCS. However, I haven't found anything yet on how long it takes from initial visit to the recruiter to signing up for a time slot. I wanted to know so I could begin on time. I know that the time varies on a person-by-person basis but need a general time frame.

Thanks
Erin

supermeyers

When I signed up my recruiter told me you should give yourself 6 months from the initial recruiting visit to the first day of OCS to be safe. However, I have never heard of it actually taking 6 months for pilots and nfos. Once you meet your recruiter it will take a minimum of a week or two to fill out your paperwork, take your prt, and go to MEPS. The maximium time is up to you and your schedule. Once your paperwork is sent out you'll recieve notice in a week to a month. Your OCS date is up to them, I had to wait a month and a half, but I have heard of longer waits. The key is start earlier than later. Good luck!

Chris

Gator

The time that it takes does vary and one of the variables is whether you are applying for a direct commission or for BDCP. If you are in BDCP you will get the first OCS class date after graduation from college. Regardless of whether or not the class is full. If you are a direct commission it is all dependent on how soon you want to leave and when the first available slots are. On your application there will be a section that allows you fill in when your available to start training. Turn around time on your application package varies also on whether or not you are a direct commission or BDCP. I knew that the average turn around time for a BDCP applicant is about one month. Hope this was helpful.

dawgfighter

Thanks Guys! You've been helpful. I just didn't want to start too late. Plus I figured that it would take SOME time since this is the government that we are talking about. You know fill in this form here that form there. Oops! You needed to have this filled out before you got here or did this. I just wanted to be prepared for the bureaucracy of it all
GO NAVY!!

wali

I am in the BDCP Program with a pilot slot. I don't graduate until may 2003 but they have already given me my OCS date of May 31st, 2003. Looking forward to it. The whole application process took about 2-1/2 weeks. I submitted my paperwork at the end of june last year and about 17 days later, I got a call from my recruiter giving me congrats on acceptance into BDCP as a pilot. If you have good GPA and are physically qualified for pilot, don't even worry about anything. I used to be in Air Force ROTC and the AFOQT pilot and nav sections are, considerabally, more difficult than that of the Navy's. ASTB should be a breeze. Well, best of luck Airwinger, let me know if you get in. If you are already in than congrats. By the way, I was accepted through OR in Tallahasee.
Ali

PeacoatMan

Ali,

I'm also in the BDCP with a pilot spot and will graduate sometime in either late May or early June 2003. I'll look for you in sunny Pensacola.

Joey

wali

First of all, congrats Joey. When did you enter the program. I am wondering cause you should get your OCS date pretty soon. I just got mine 2 weeks ago. Hope to see you there. Do you have a Dream Jet? I always wanted to fly the F-15C Eagle. Since the Navy does not have it. I want to fly the F/A-18 Hornet. Hopefully we can make it to jets to fly hornets. What are you going for? Best of Luck.
Ali

Edited by - wali on 03/06/2002 19:39:41

Spaceman Spiff

quote:
I am in the BDCP Program with a pilot slot. I don't graduate until may 2003 but they have already given me my OCS date of May 31st, 2003. Looking forward to it.

Sweetness, that's when I plan to graduate. I haven't finished the application process yet and I plannin' to have a PRK done in a week or so. I'll probably know by mid summer if I got a pilot slot and when my OCS date is. COngrats!

Kris

Dave Shutter

As the IRONMAN in the app. process I'll jump in here.

It all depends on you and how quickly you can get the materials into the recruiters hands. Remember he's not so much a agent that gets you a gig vs. a receptionist that sends out your mail for you. Did you take the ASTB yet? Make sure all your scores are high enough for what your going out for, mine weren't at first. Do you think he was honest with me about it: hell no! If your scores (like PBI) are low, then re-test and don't let them tell you you can't. You can walk into that office and take that test every six months from now until you're 35 and they can't say no!

After you take the test your next appt. will likely be the MEPS station, or local mil hospital for your physical. Your recruiter probably won't want anything from you until those two things are done. In his head, you're not qualified until their done. But in the meantime you should be working on your other paperwork: app. EPSQ, recommendation letters, Motivational statement. Normally you finish up with the PFA. The sooner you make yourself available for the appointments and return back the paperwork and app's with everything filled in your package is finished. Just hope you don't need a waiver. Board meets once a month.

Quess what I learned today: The Navy may need XXX pilots slots filled a given FY but did you know that each recruiting station is only alloted a certain number of those! If your station meets it individual quota you may find yourself on the receieving end of a "Sorry kid, all filled up, NFO or nothing" speech, and technically you're not being lied too. I know what you're all thinking: "But Dave, don't the needs of the Navy take precedence over all other things?" Why yes they do, and in keeping with meeting the all important needs of the Navy there is a process where one station wheels and deals it's slots with another, and the Navy gets another happy SNA. But this requires phone calls, paperwork, an exchange of credit points (very important to Rec's looking to avoid being passed over!) and a whole bunch of other annoying stuff. It's so much easier to just sell you on NFO and since you don't know any better nine times out of ten...

Oh the things you learn on OHARP!

PeacoatMan

Ali,

I was sworn in 23 January 2002, so I'm relatively new to the program. I want to fly something that can haul ass and has an ego -- the Hornet. I plan on working my ass off in flight school for the privilege to fly it. I'm also excited about being a Naval Officer.

I'm not sure about my OCS start date ... my recruiter hasn't mentioned it. Sorry you can't fly the F-15, but I'm sure you'll be satisfied with Navy flying.

Take it easy, man
Joey

wali

I could not agree more with Dave. You are absolutely right. As soon as you get your paperwork, start working on it. Show initiative and that you are actually interested in the program. I actually had a friend with a CIS degree who applied for Pilot Spot with BDCP. He had around 3.0 GPA and Passed the physical and ASTB. However, he just put off the paperwork for 3 months and when he finally put it in. He was denied pilot slot or any other job. So, it's better if you do everything as quickly and as precisely as possible. Also, did you know that you get a pay raise as well as a promotion if you refer a person and that person gets in the program. I started E-3 and after my friend got accepted (Surface Warfare) I was promoted to E-4 and got a raise. Also, getting on Dean's list can get you promoted.
Ali

wali

Joey;
Good to hear. More power to all the Naval Aviators....HornetDriver, Hurrah! and all of the Pilots in US military services. We are all in it for the same cause. Hopefully, you and I can kick butt at primary and, hopefully, get our dream jets.
Take Care
Ali

Brooklyn

"Just hope you don't need a waiver. Board meets once a month."

How long do waivers usually take, specifically, medical waivers? Does the board take care of all waivers that have accumulated up to the point of their meeting?

Status
Not open for further replies.