• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lessons from Watch

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sitting duty as the the 'Navy's SDO' you get to see some interesting things cross your desk from time to time, it happens when you get every OPREP/SITREP/Navy Blue from big Navy. Last Friday's duty had more gems than usual, and I thought some here would find them informative:

-If you plan on starting the weekend by getting high when you get back to the barracks, don't pull out your bag of weed and lay it on the counter when you are at the shopette buying your munchies so everyone can see it. Not only will a few of your fellow sailors report it, you might leave behind a little bit of a 'green leafy substance' so the cops can confirm that it is indeed an illegal substance. So when they finally find you meandering back to the barracks they have probable cause to search you and find that bag of 'leafy green substance' still on you.

-Don't toss around live ammo, especially into a metal can. Even a hippie like me knows that a live round doesn't need to be in a gun to go off and hit you in the hand.

-When you commit a 'lewd act' in public, make sure you 'illegally' carrying a handgun on you, especially in New York City. It doesn't really matter what your politics are, don't be stupid and break the law, twice.

-Finally, no matter how good of an idea it may seem at the time, I can assure you that the carved wooden pirate you saw sitting in front of the restaurant will not look better in your front yard. Especially when the restaurant wants their pirate back and asks the Navy to get it back for them. You don't want to be 'that guy' just a few weeks after you started your Navy career, Ensign.

And just so you know, the SECNAV and CNO will be briefed on your shenanigans, and anyone on SIPR will be able to read about them too (and yes, there are a lot of people who do).

Have a fine Navy day! ;)

Clux4

Banned
How exactly do you get to stand SDO as a Reservist.
Is this an IMA gig at Headquarters or........

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How exactly do you get to stand SDO as a Reservist.
Is this an IMA gig at Headquarters or........

A regular part-time reserve gig, part of a unit that supports the Navy staff. Every service does it differently, the Navy uses drilling reservists for part of the watch.

Bevo16

pilot
Nothing from the USS Denver? That's going to take just about all of my day. Of course, it's pretty hard to make a double murder/suicide into something funny.

Anyone looking for a job? I am getting pretty sick of this shit.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Jesus man, that sounds like a job that would make you wanna drink...hard...at 845 on a monday. When are you up for orders/out?

Bevo16

pilot
I wish I got that call on Monday morning. That was 0645 yesterday. Nothing makes you want to go hug your kid like a wakeup call that some guy just murdered his.

Most of the time it is pretty routine. About once a month, I'll get a case that really gets to me.

My orders are through Feb 2011.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nothing from the USS Denver? That's going to take just about all of my day. Of course, it's pretty hard to make a double murder/suicide into something funny.

While I haven't seen too many of those I have seen way too many DUI's, domestic violence, sexual assault and child abuse SITREPS come across the desk. Fortunately we don't get too many of the gory details, but enough sometimes to make you cringe a bit. You have to remind yourself that it is a big Navy.

There are plenty of 'Darwin Award' winners to lighten things up a little bit, which is why I posted them and not the depressing ones.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...You don't want to be 'that guy' just a few weeks after you started your Navy career, Ensign.

+1

While you never want to be that guy, you especially never want to be 'the next guy.' As in, a pissed-off Skipper who says, 'the next guy that does something stupid...'

We do still hang people from yardarms, Kirby.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Although I figure if you are going to go down for something stupid, stealing Peg Leg Pete is an awesome way to do it. Still, don't do shit like this. Really.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I remember a watch I had early in my enlisted career. Coming back from points East and I had the 0400-0800 flight deck watch aboard the Forrestal. I'm doing my thing, walking around the flight deck when I smell that smell of freshly toked pot. I peer around the corner to see 4-5 guys doing their thing. Not liking the odds and being a few hundred miles from shore, I go back to the CDO shack to turn them in only to find the young LTJG asleep. He was an A-7 pilot from Lemoore...I still remember his name.

navy09

None
-If you plan on starting the we-Don't toss around live ammo, especially into a metal can. Even a hippie like me knows that a live round doesn't need to be in a gun to go off and hit you in the hand.

Haha...ha! Was that from an east coast VBSS Team Trainer?

ACowboyinTexas

Armed and Dangerous
pilot
Contributor
Phone ringing at 0230 Sunday morning at my hooch in Japan. Running down the narrow, steep steps in my little Jap house to the only phone and my platform dumps, resulting in two broken toes on the wall at the bottom of the landing. An hour later I'm limping into security to babysit one of the Dragons' E-3s who thought he needed one of the Christmas trees from the NEX for his barracks room. Yeah, security found him wandering drunkenly, looking for the barracks, carrying a Christmas tree. "Hey sir, can I bum a smoke?" "I'm not your friend right now, Turner..." Damn I miss duty...not!
Turned out to be a pretty good sailor, though.