• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Letter of intent for WOFT recommendations?

LandLubber

I'm in the process of gathering my recommendation letters for my WOFT packet and a senior military friend told me that I should write a letter of intent to the people I'm requesting recommendations from. Is there any preferred format for these or are they more of an informal request stating basic intentions and expectations?

LandLubber

The guys over kiowapilots don't like newbie questions too much, there's an entire thread about how we're the downfall of the site. This letter is something I haven't heard of before but a Navy E-9 told me about it so I was just wondering if it's more of a courtesy thing or if it's standard practice.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
The guys over kiowapilots don't like newbie questions too much, there's an entire thread about how we're the downfall of the site. This letter is something I haven't heard of before but a Navy E-9 told me about it so I was just wondering if it's more of a courtesy thing or if it's standard practice.

To be honest I don't know JACK about the WOFT program. But I have to say anytime a E-9 tells me something... I listen... Not out of respect (even though that is obvious)... But just because he/she knows way more shit than I do... So if they say something... I would do it... Whether or not it is courtesy or standard practice... You can't do something wrong concerning this topic by listening to your superior!

Lawman

None
Ive never seen anything in cold writing as to the format of a Letter of Intent, but it is definitely a more professional way of doing things than most people would go about. Your asking these people to put pen to paper and take time out to herald your cause. If you know them personally (coworker, family friend, etc) than yeah you can get away with a much more casual and personal way of asking. A lot of guys get hung up on trying to find somebody in a senior Military (primarily Army) leadership position either active duty or retired. Not all of us have friends and family that served and the board will understand that when they go through your packet however if you can get the time to interview with a senior military official who is impressed enough by you to take the time to write something that says a lot too. They cant really speak for your experiences, but they can speak as to your professionalism.

Id say your best bet would be to get with anybody that writes business documents on a regular basis (resumes, memos, etc) because they will offer a far better opinion than somebody like me that got C's in English.

bluemarlin04

For my LOR's (Keep in mind I applied to the Navy) I just wrote a professional e-mail to them or asked them in person. None of them had a problem with it. If you're not being disrespectful I don't think they would mind.

highside7r

None
There's a WOFT dude or two around here, but this is generally a Navy joint. Might wanna try here: http://www.kiowapilots.com

I could also send you over to hawkdriver.com, but you need a .mil email addy. I had my "Navy E-9" review my WOFT resume and I set up the LOR's myself with senior Naval Aviator's (many hanging around NAS Pcola). I can tell you it's a completely different process for AD vs. civilian applicants.