• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Letters of Recommendation

C130_girl

C130 girl
So far I have my Engineering Manager at work and the Chair of the Department of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering at the school I went to.

My recruiter only wants three, but I have a few more potentials and I was wondering if anyone had any advice. First question is that my former Maintenance Commander moved onto another unit (I am a Air Force Reservist). He knew me well and will write me a stellar letter, but its been a year since he moved on. Our new Commander just took over a few months ago and as I am up there only one weekend a month, I really haven't met her yet. Do I pursue the old or the new MXS CO? Or do I look to my Wing CO?

Second question is that I hung out with a 2-Star AF General during a Conference a month ago and she was encouraging me to pursue a commision. I told her my plans and asked her if I would be able to get a recommendation from her. She agreed, but said that she really didn't know me well and would only be able to write about my behaivor and appearance at the Conference. Should I request a letter from her, even though I only interacted with her for a few days?

Thanks for the advice!!

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
I'd definitely go for the old commander in your AF Reserve unit, even if you don't see him much anymore. I don't think it matters too much that he's not your unit commander anymore, since you did work with him a lot, and the board is looking for signs of good character, leadership, etc...it doesn't matter so much as to whether the commander observed those great qualities last month or last year.

That's my initial gut reaction.

Lonestar155

is good to go
Just because the letter is from a high ranking officer does not mean much. They cannot write about your work ethic, dedication, or any other moral attributes. Look at it this way. A candidate with a stellar LOR from a "non big shot," may have the edge over a candidate that has a non persuasive LOR from a high ranking officer. Now I am not stoping you from recieving a LOR from this individual, but perhaps try to use it as an advantage as your "icing on the cake". Just make sure to get LORs from people who actually know ya. Later

Rearden

So what's broken on this jet today, Chief?
None
As I understand it, it's generally better to have more recommendations. In your case, I would definately pursue a letter from your old Maintenance Commander. In terms of the 2 star, it probably won't hurt, but it might be a little more trouble than it's worth. From what I can see, it looks like you have LoR's from some decent people, a mix of civilian and military, so they look strong, but, from what I understood when I was applying, more probably won't hurt.

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
There was recently a thread on this, this is my advice:

I sent 3 LoRs: 2 employers and 1 professor, and I got a pro-rec. What you should ask yourself when considering what LoRs to get is: What will they write about me that will offer a unique perspective?

Of course, this is just my opinion, feel free to get as many letters as you want :)

Tom

pilot
Contributor
I had LOR's from two former Air Force pilots in my BDCP SNA application and I got accepted just fine. Those two LOR's turned out to be the best ones I had. I think the reason for that was because they knew what a selection board would be looking for.

Maybe the board was sympathetic to me seeing as I live about as far as I possible can from the ocean. Most people in North Dakota don't even know that the Navy has aircraft.

staff03

Unfortunately, I don't know any navy officers. I was curious if it would be ok to put the air force pilot down not just because he was an officer in the U.S. air force, but because I happen to be dating his daughter and it would be a very good character reference for me (along with the rank that doesn't hurt). Just making sure that it wouldn't lead to an automatic decline on my app.

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
I'm sure that any military LOR would look good. I wish I had some military LOR, both of mine are from professors. IMHO the branch difference won't matter that much.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Unfortunately, I don't know any navy officers. I was curious if it would be ok to put the air force pilot down not just because he was an officer in the U.S. air force, but because I happen to be dating his daughter and it would be a very good character reference for me (along with the rank that doesn't hurt). Just making sure that it wouldn't lead to an automatic decline on my app.

Here's whats been handed down to me from some guys around here at NOB Norfolk:

An Aviator is an Aviator, and an Officer is an Officer. Hell, if your IP from your PPL or PPLG or whatever you have can write that you are a natural aviator and a great person, you better have them write you something. If an O-5 in the Air Force can give you a great Reference Letter (LoR in military speak is actually Letters of Reprimand, which you don't want) then get it done. If your manager at McDonald's can give you an even better one, then get it from her. Just make sure they spend some time on it, draft it and get it right. Oh, and don't write one yourself and have them sign it. I've heard that can backfire on you.

Please don't take this as gospel. I'm just like 90% of the people here: I'm still working on getting my pilot slot, and I am not going to pretend that I have earned anything yet.