• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

limited edition C* model

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
*convertible
2558889570_3314eb8cd0_o.jpg

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
SWO in the trunk: "What did you say not to hold onto when rolling inverted". BANG

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Silly things happen when Flag Rank SWOs go a flying.

Pretty sure at the time he was the CO of an Aegis cruiser that was to deploy with the battle group, he was at the O Club that night thinking it was all a big joke apparently. We showed up in Fallon 3 days later and the bird was sitting sat in the hangar the whole time looking very forlorn, one the maintainers said they were having a problem finding a replacement canopy.

phrogpilot73

Can you select which seat initiates the command ejection (or whatever it is that you call it when you pull one handle, and both seats fire)?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Can you select which seat initiates the command ejection (or whatever it is that you call it when you pull one handle, and both seats fire)?

Obviously not a F-14 guy, but based on the 1.0 I spent in one...yes. The lever moves back and forth as to who has command eject authority.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Handle aft, pilot or RIO can initiate. Handle forward, pilot only initiates. Generally, handle would be aft with NATOPS qualified aircrew in the back seat. When flying students or guests, handle is forward so a panicky backseater does not eject a functioning pilot. If the pilot pulls, everyone leaves no matter handle position (not much point in staying around).

Pretty much the same system in the Prowler except the choices where between ECMO 1 (right front) and the pilot (left front). Backseaters (ECMO2/3) could never initiate command eject but could always leave on their own volition.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Pretty sure at the time he was the CO of an Aegis cruiser that was to deploy with the battle group, he was at the O Club that night thinking it was all a big joke apparently. We showed up in Fallon 3 days later and the bird was sitting sat in the hangar the whole time looking very forlorn, one the maintainers said they were having a problem finding a replacement canopy.
He was the skipper of the NORMANDY, If I recall correctly. His face was pretty scratched up from being dragged thru a creosote bush, but he was joking about how "he checked and made sure the seat worked." I don't think he understood that no one else thought it was something to joke about. I heard after the fact that someone installed a yellow-and-black handle on his bridge wing chair when he got back to his boat, and that he apparently was not amused...

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I heard after the fact that someone installed a yellow-and-black handle on his bridge wing chair when he got back to his boat, and that he apparently was not amused...

Really, the best part of this whole story.

Lovebug201

standby, mark mark, pull
None
Found the pilots approach article. http://www.vfp62.com/F14_RIO.html
I can speak with some experience about this.

Flying on day toward the DMZ and the front canopy (F4) departs the aircraft. My first thought was, that son of a bit*h took off and left me. The wind blast pasted me to the seat and I couldn't hear a thing except wind. I couldn't see the pilot, yes he was still there, he had lowered his seat all the way and then hunkered down some more to get out of the wind.

We were still flying so I decided I might stick around for a few minutes. I broadcasted in the blind to lead, hoping he could hear me. Sure enough, he slid over to take a look. Lead us "out ot sea", dumped our ordanance and lead us back to an uneventful landing.

Pilot swears he did not touch the jettison handle, we will never now. He is the same guy who extended the fuel probe on me while pulling 4 g's out of a bomb run (discussed elsewhere). He went on a FAC tour shortly after.

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
if the pilot DID leave you alone, it would have been obvious to you by the enhanced performance of the jet.
:)