• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Liquid Cooled Underwear and Fly By Wire Blackhawks!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The M Upgrade introduces a digital fly-by-wire (FBW) system with triple-redundant Hamilton Sundstrand dual-channel flight control computers and actuators, and BAE Systems active control sticks.

I still don't totally understand how this works w/ a pilot-assist module failure. Also, how does it provide "better SA" when there's (presumably) no control feedback?

busdriver

None
If the flight control computer directly actuates the primary servos, I would think the pilot assist module ceases to exist. As to better SA, beats me. But I would think that you'd release the trim release buttons and the system would maintain whatever velocities or pitch attitude were current at that time, with the option of hitting a "zero" button. I imagine you would essentially have an autopilot running all the time. From an engineering standpoint it probably only get weird when you start talking one wheel hovers.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If the flight control computer directly actuates the primary servos, I would think the pilot assist module ceases to exist.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. I guess I was thinking the system would have to do a lot of work w/ all the control pressures, but that's what the Pilot-assist is doing anyway, so disregard.

As to better SA, beats me. But I would think that you'd release the trim release buttons and the system would maintain whatever velocities or pitch attitude were current at that time, with the option of hitting a "zero" button. I imagine you would essentially have an autopilot running all the time.

They have this technology now, it's called a "Seahawk."

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I still don't totally understand how this works w/ a pilot-assist module failure. Also, how does it provide "better SA" when there's (presumably) no control feedback?

There is control feedback in FBW aircraft, it's just faked.

The weirdest thing to get used to is that the amount of physical space you have left to move the stick has nothing to do with how much control authority you have left.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Control feedback in Seahawks is also faked - it's called "trim" and "maneuvering stability."

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
We have a ball-blower vent in the ECS that shoots 60mph air onto your sack. Is that good enough?

break...break...The article on the FBW H-60 had the standard, "the Marines should have bought these instead of the V-22" wankers. I don't have enough hours in the day to contend with some of those whackos.

deMontjoie

NAVAIR is putting the AirWarrior Microclimate Cooling vests in the H-53s within months. Other USN/USMC helos to follow thereafter -- maybe. If you want 'em, speak-up at your NARGs.

These things are very effective for stationary aircrew. For mobile crew-members, much less so since the umbilicals are fairly bulky and inflexible.

bobbybrock

None
The micro climate system is a good thing. Most Army aircraft have no ECS so it can get pretty hot. When I flew in Iraq from May to Sep, most days saw the FAT pegged at 50 C. Through in the body armor and other shizat and dehydration was always a factor.

highside7r

None
+1 on the MCS, really does help, just pulling the windows out just allows the hot ball sweat to blow around (along with your maps). I guess I was spoiled in the 60F/60H Seahawk with the ECS vents on those long starboard D day in a wetsuit.

Working the FBW issue with a buddy that has done the UH-60M transition, just waiting for the info.