• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

LiveATC.net feed up for PNS approach

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Now you can listen to your buddies fumble on the radios from the comfort of your couch!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
But is it buttons 3 and 5 or is it the civilian side? I'm guessing it's just the civilian side.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
gatordev said:
But is it buttons 3 and 5 or is it the civilian side? I'm guessing it's just the civilian side.

Yes, it's VHF only. Scanner hooked up to a PC that streams the audio via IP.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yeah, just went there and read. When I click the link, I'm getting data streamed to me, but nothing actually happens. WMP doesn't start the sound. Oh well.

Pags

N/A
pilot
ChuckMK23 said:
Yes, it's VHF only. Scanner hooked up to a PC that streams the audio via IP.
So can you get the factoryhands and eightballs, since we usually talked on VHF to approach?

squorch2

pilot
Pags said:
So can you get the factoryhands and eightballs, since we usually talked on VHF to approach?
I thought everyone was supposed to talk on VHF at civilian fields whenever possible to decrease chances of a midair. Although the VHF in the 34 is in a pretty awful spot for quick freq switches.

Pags

N/A
pilot
squorch2 said:
I thought everyone was supposed to talk on VHF at civilian fields whenever possible to decrease chances of a midair. Although the VHF in the 34 is in a pretty awful spot for quick freq switches.
In the VTs we talked on UHF for initial contact and on course rules. I can't remember if we had to switch to VHF for PNS tower, it's been almost a year. At other fields in the area we had to use VHF since there's nothing else.

squorch2

pilot
gatordev said:
Yeah, just went there and read. When I click the link, I'm getting data streamed to me, but nothing actually happens. WMP doesn't start the sound. Oh well.
Yeah, I noticed some weird things as well. It takes a minute or two for sound to start on any station, but then it works just fine.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Pags said:
In the VTs we talked on UHF for initial contact and on course rules. I can't remember if we had to switch to VHF for PNS tower, it's been almost a year. At other fields in the area we had to use VHF since there's nothing else.

They have the freqs segregated so that the regular PNS APP doesn't get clobbered by FAM 1s and foreign students. A lot of the time, it's the same controller, but you stick w/ UHF for ease of use and stan. You do switch over to VHF at PNS Tower, or when you're working w/ PNS App and not on course rules (like high work over Area 3 or in the North MOA).

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
squorch2 said:
The only time I find working on VHF useful is if you're going through a really busy Class B like DC so you don't step on all the guy's other VHF radio calls, plus it can be good for general SA.

Brett

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Yeah we use VHF for all the RI stuff around here in the HTs (except the area monitors). In Corpus we usually used VHF to talk to Corpus Regional tower in VTs.