• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lockdown Here at Appalachian

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
School was locked down today, it was pretty scary here for a few hours. Police were unable to find the suspect, but the lockdown has just been lifted (I feel really safe :eek:).

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=5996254

What is the deal? V-Tech, Northern Illinois...I think all college applicants should be psych-eval'd. Scary.

Threat was a hoax. http://www.emergency.appstate.edu/ For further information. I can't believe the culprit only received a misdemeanor. I also apoligize for this thread not having to do with aviation. Lesson learned!

jt71582

pilot
Contributor
No kidding! Before this whole thing happened today I saw some of those "goth" kids on campus. Hey, be individual if you want, but this guy actually said to me "can I help you? asshole?" I'm thinking - if you don't want people to look at you, dress like a normal human being and take off the makeup.

Anyway, I'm glad campus officials think everything's safe enough to resume classes tomorrow, but I have had bad experiences with the incompetencies of the local police.

UMichfly

pilot
None
Yeah...that's pretty weak. I think the media is just fearmongering. My girlfriend got robbed at gunpoint in her house about 1/4 mile off campus and there weren't any lockdowns/media freakouts. At least Michigan beats Appalachian State at something :D.

jt71582

pilot
Contributor
Yeah...that's pretty weak. I think the media is just fearmongering. My girlfriend got robbed at gunpoint in her house about 1/4 mile off campus and there weren't any lockdowns/media freakouts. At least Michigan beats Appalachian State at something :D.

Agreed about the media. I think everyone was just confused and that caused the sense of fear. This could have been kept under wraps, but it was good to see the emergency notification system works.

However, the media does a good job of reporting football upsets. :D

SkywardET

Contrarian
Agreed about the media. I think everyone was just confused and that caused the sense of fear. This could have been kept under wraps, but it was good to see the emergency notification system works.

However, the media does a good job of reporting football upsets. :D
I think that not keeping it under wraps is a lesson learned from V-tech, which originally started with the shooting of two people and was discounted as a lover's quarrel. I would expect most murders/violent crimes near campuses to now arouse attention. The whole situation sucks.

navy_or_bust

I think the solution is to allow students to carry concealed weapons on campus. This way these punks won't think they are god when they try something like this and will be dead faster than someone can call 911.

adam28270

I worry about a large percentage of the students at my school. Alot of them seem unstable from the stresses that classes put on them. They seem to be the sheltered, gotta have A's, only social interaction is through halo online kindof people. So I disagree, I don't want any of them to be able to carry a gun to class.

Just last year, an alumni drove back from Mass. and jumped down the largest stairwell on campus (10 floors). Someone found him around level 4 and his head was banged up really bad. So the swat team was called in before any students knew what was going on. People were sitting in class and the swat team would bust open the door with weapons at the ready, say a few words like "it's alright, everyone stay in here" and then leave. It really was an over-reaction if I've ever seen one. Freaked a lot of people out. Not to mention that they sent an email out saying there was a gunman on campus somewhere and for everyone to go home. Some teachers didn't believe the students in there classes when they told them about the email.