• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Logbook Maintenance for future (Logbook Pro?)

Johny0nThaSp0t

pilot
Seeing a lot of guys deal with transitioning their Logbook to something compatible / equivalent to civilian stuff, I'd like to start early.

Is there a reference/ gouge/ cheat sheet that I can't find that will allow me to keep a personal logbook, concurrent to my blue book, that will set me up for success if I want to use my flight time after the military? I've heard logbook pro is the standard but that there are like ten different ways to transfer hours.

So I did a couple searches and couldn't find anything on this subject. If there's a link, plz send it.

Thanks.

J

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Keep in mind that I was very fortunate that someone baselined my logbook in SHARP after having lots of hours already, which made it easier, but if I had to do it all over again, I'd probably just build an Excel spreadsheet. I'm finding that as I need to manipulate data for certain things, I'm just taking my SHARP data in a spread sheet and playing with numbers.

If you start early, and just keep up with a monthly totals out of SHARP, using Excel will allow you still build reports, but also filter times and make specific categories that you track based off of your community. I don't use Logbook Pro (I maintain a record with LogTen Pro), but I've a lot of the things I care about don't really have an applicable category in the program. I can make custom categories, but when you run a built in report, a lot of the data we're used to seeing in a paper logbook doesn't get reported.

If you want a fairly simple but complete template to start with, ask someone who knows MSHARP to create a logbook export for you. You can then go in and clean up the columns in Excel and build off of that.

Farva01

BKR
pilot
PM me and I can shoot you the excel file I have been working on. It is not letting me attach an excel file to this post.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Keep in mind that I was very fortunate that someone baselined my logbook in SHARP after having lots of hours already, which made it easier, but if I had to do it all over again, I'd probably just build an Excel spreadsheet. I'm finding that as I need to manipulate data for certain things, I'm just taking my SHARP data in a spread sheet and playing with numbers.

If you start early, and just keep up with a monthly totals out of SHARP, using Excel will allow you still build reports, but also filter times and make specific categories that you track based off of your community. I don't use Logbook Pro (I maintain a record with LogTen Pro), but I've a lot of the things I care about don't really have an applicable category in the program. I can make custom categories, but when you run a built in report, a lot of the data we're used to seeing in a paper logbook doesn't get reported.

If you want a fairly simple but complete template to start with, ask someone who knows MSHARP to create a logbook export for you. You can then go in and clean up the columns in Excel and build off of that.

I agree with Gator. For the helo bubbas, it seems as if every employer wants something different. Day landings, night landings, ship landings, PIC NVG ship landings, externals, mountain time, etc, etc, etc. Excel will work wonders.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Be careful with flight hour baselines in SHARP. If you remerge SHARP profiles you can potentially double up your hours and it's a pain in the ass to fix.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Be careful with flight hour baselines in SHARP. If you remerge SHARP profiles you can potentially double up your hours and it's a pain in the ass to fix.

I've got the Wizard (Greg) to help. He re-merges my profiles almost weekly and so far I've only had one event double. I just double check it after he does it, for the very reason you mention.